Best way to experiment with different pickup position and mount angle on a strat.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by RvChevron, Jun 9, 2008.

1. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

How can I modify the pickguard so I can move the pickups to different location AND angle on the fly without removing the strings, neck or the pickguard?

The body has swimming pool route.

It's a new partscaster.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

That sounds like fun.
    You might try routing out a full centre section of a guard to accommodate the pup and the extend the mounting holes as routs (slots), and locate the pup by using those conical springs, on the adjustment screws, which might both slide and hold well enough to test.
    It would sort of look like a bowling alley.:worthless

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Yes, like a bowling alley. The would make it easy to move the pickups back and forth between the neck and bridge.

I'm having at least the bridge single coil in reverse slant, possibly the neck and mid too.

Here's a predisposed pic:

[​IMG]

I think I'll try to make a "slant" bowling alley then.

I'll take some pic once I have it done. Will take a while though.

4. David Collins

David Collins Member

Lindy Fralin has an old swimming pool route guitar that he set up with a pair of rails to install pickups on for this reason. It's been years since I've seen it, but if I remember right he also had a route that allowed him to remove and install pickups on the rails without loosening the strings. I don't remember exactly how it was laid out, but there are plenty of ways to do it so long as you don't care how it looks. ;)

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Oh, I don't care if it's ugly, once I get the positions I like, I'll get a new pickguard made nice and neat.

The rails method rings a bell to me but I'm not sure if I can get two long strip of metal or wood fixed on the body without drillling any extra holes.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

FWIW, I installed a reverse slant bridge pup on a Strat that already had an HB rout at the bridge...seems like a good idea, but is difficult to judge without an A/B comparison, so please post any results.