Best way to find new band members?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by thewalkingboss, May 4, 2016.

1. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

My cover band just lost 2 founding members. We were together for 7 years, 6 pieces with 2 guitar players and 2 keyboard players. We were very tight and very good, doing a lot of technically difficult stuff that most cover bands wouldn't touch.

One keyboard player and one guitar player left. They were a husband and wife team and just needed to take a break and focus on other things in their lives. Everyone in the band is a singer, and between them we also lost about 1/3 of the lead vocals and some key harmonies. They were both great talents and good friends (still are).

Looking at Craigslist, I find people who either insist on immediate paying situations (we don't have that at the moment) or people who seriously overestimate their talent. How do I find a like minded musician who is in it for the love of playing and lets the chips fall where they may regarding paying opportunities? Are there web sites other than Craigslist where musicians hook up?

2. Sam Karnatz

Sam Karnatz Member

Same as picking stocks: a monkey and a dartboard.

CL is definitely a mixed bag....'musicians' (like me) cruising the web when they should be playing. BTW, we always 'overestimate our talents' cause that's part of being a 'musician' for the 99%...

Open mics? gigs around your town? As far as mercenaries go, let 'em find their own water.

MORE BARN and thewalkingboss like this.
  3. BigSB

BigSB Member

Get out to the jams.
    Get out to your friends' bands' gigs. Get invited to sit in.
    Go to local shows of bands you like, then see who's talking to the band during setup and breakdown. A lot of times, those are often other players.
    Get an ad on CL anyway. I've met some great people and even some not-so-great-players who hipped me to good jams, good venues, etc.
    Take gigs with the smaller lineup doing easier stuff... you never know who's in the crowd.
    Play solo acoustic gigs. If you've got any interesting/quirky technique or vintage/odd gear, chances are a guitarist or other musician will want to talk on the break or after the gig.

In a nutshell: get your name out there and keep your face familiar all over your local scene. When you become recognizable and have a rep as a player, you'll attract other players.

ant_riv and thewalkingboss like this.
  4. shane8

shane8 Member

go to gigs & steal them from other bands

5. Phletch

Phletch Member

"Hey, you, get in the van."

will2002 and NamaEnsou like this.
  6. shane8

shane8 Member

:rotflmao I didn't mean abduction.

Phletch likes this.
  7. Gallus

Gallus Member

Methodone clinics, homeless shelters, drop-in services, rehab meetings......

8. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

Why not have a go as a four-piece band? As a fan of trios, it seems like you have more than enough players, and ample singing talent as well.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  9. FFTT

FFTT Member

In order to find a serious full time working band, I contacted several of the local talent agencies.

Didn't expect much, but got a phone call about 3 months later that turned out to be a solid long term gig.

10. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

how much of your set list could you legit not do missing those 2 people?

if you can pull it off... i'd try to give it a go for a while as a 4-piece and see what happens. it's also more $$$ per head, in theory.

i know plenty of cover bands that vary in size depending on the size of the gig, availability and $$$$. there will be the core group... and they add onto it for the bigger gigs. maybe an extra guitar. maybe a horn section. maybe a female vocalist.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  11. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Bass player moved to VA so been looking since Febuary, auditioning and sort through emails .....about to give up andnwe found a guy who was a good match in personality taste and ambitions, brought pro gear knew 5 songs and was a quick learner when we tried others when it went well and get this played WELL.

So seems CL just takes some time

12. thesauce

thesauce Member

I remember when college bulletin boards were the norm :/

13. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

14. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I would follow Big SB's advice.

That is how I have connected with some of the best musicians I have been privileged to play with.

15. BigSB

BigSB Member

@ant_riv: why, thank you!

Really... even just yesterday, a friend who is a killer blues guitarist posted a hint about his band becoming the house band at a new location.

I commented that I was eager to know where, and he replied that I'd "better be there!" and that with my voice, I could sit in with them any time,

I won't comment on his taste in vocalists ;) but I will say that now hundreds of people have seen that exchange and I could use that to my advantage.

The popular, working bandleader mentioned me because I've been on the scene and shook the hands and played the tunes and made the other players look good.

All it takes are one or two good players to mention you to their musician friends, and when you make the scene, they'll be paying attention.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  16. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Like others have said, you have to go where the musicians are. Not the "musicians" that passively sit around posting internet ads, but the ones out there doing something. Gigs, jams, showcases, etc.

buddaman71 likes this.
  17. Bogner

Bogner Member

Relationship...the key to everything in life.

18. slybird

slybird Member

The best way to find band members is to write great songs, have a great singer or front person, or work with a great drummer (or sometimes any drummer). If you are only a guitarist and don't have one of those you are pretty much going to have a hard time finding people, you will need a lot of grit.

19. BMX

BMX Member

Money talks and "gigs to be booked in the future" walks.

When you get gigs booked post an add that says "players needed, gigs booked, minimum of $200 a gig, please send video of playing samples" and you'll have good people to pick from. You may have to front some money up front until the gigs start paying better but you'll get the players you're looking for.

20. mannish

mannish Member

There is a local FB group that has musicians seeking each other maybe there is one for your area - I have also tried bandmix - jams are good

I met my drummer & bass player at jams I hosted 8 or 9 years ago.