Best way to get clean George L connections?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jason UP, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

So for years I've been buying the George L cables in varying lengths (6", 12", etc.) with the 90 degree jacks for pedal board reincarnations, etc. Damn if I can rarely get a 100% connection that doesn't crackle or pop, or flat out doesn't work. Once I get it to work, eventually one out of the say 6 or so on the board goes kaput b/c one of the connections gets jostled inside, then I have to figure out which one and replace, etc. For the love of God how do you guys get the cleanest cut and are there any tricks to getting it perfectly seated in the plug jack (or whatever you call it)? My last attempt was with a razor blade and still. These are the 90 degree ones, so you jam the cable in till flush, then bend 90 degrees and put the little screw cap on.

I have a bunch of pedals in different sizes and input configs so straight couplers doesn't do the trick, although i'd love for it to be that simple.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I gave up on making my own cables for the EXACT same reason. No matter how careful I was they just weren't very reliable (Lava, Planet Waves, or George L's). So, I bit the bullet and bought a bunch of pre-made George L's (12" and 20") and could not be happier. To me, it's worth the extra $ to have them put together by George L b/c they work perfectly and sound so clear. No worries about one coming loose or a bad connection point.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Well don't jam the cable in and bend it 90 deg.

hunter

4. Jason UP

thanks for chiming in, Hunter.

I'll look into the pre-mades, but if anyone has a worthwhile suggestion that doesn't take more $$ it'd be appreciated.

5. Jason UP

this is the connection image from George L's site of right angle plug i'm talking about.

[​IMG]

6. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Seems you think that was not helpful. Well it is fact and will make a difference. OK, read the George L faq on cable assembly. It is on the George L website:

"Bend the cable over into the slot on the side of the plug just enough to get the top back on the plug."

I repeat, don't jam it in and bend it 90 deg.

hunter

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

The Planet Waves Mini Cable Cutter does the trick for me:

[​IMG]

I also swear by the technique this guy uses:

1) Straight, clean cut without crushing the cable
    2) Don't bend the cable too much when putting the cap on
    3) Pliers

8. Jason UP

Ha yeah it came across as snide or something. Apologies. Yes I never jam it, just get it in there just enough and put the cap on.

9. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Very helpful video. Thanks!

10. Jason UP

Yeah that vid is great...thanks!

11. Thewaker43

Thewaker43 Member

Might not be the advice you are looking for but I ended up getting a nice bicycle cable cutter. The Felco C7 is pretty much the standard but runs about $50. Don't think I would have bought it just for guitar cables, but I do all my bike maintenance so I needed one anyway. Both Park and Pedro's make quality bike tools and have cable cutters for around $30. I've not used their cutters but judging by their other tools I've used, I'm sure they would work fine too.

And like was mentioned, press firmly until it is seated. Then bend slightly and screw on the cap. I used to always have cable going out. But since getting a proper cutter and taking a bit more time, it's been years since I have had a bad cable.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  12. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I had the same problems until I started doing this. Just bend the cable down ever so slightly so you can screw the cap back on and let it do the rest.

These days I solder my own cables. It's WAY easier than you might think and quite a bit cheaper.

13. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Another cutter. This thing gets you the right cut. Maybe a little too much coin if you only want to make cables but it is a decent cutting tool to have around the house. Be careful though. I think they call it handi cut because you can cut your hand off with the thing. And if the cutting method you use ovalizes the cable, round it back out.

Sad truth is George Ls are not for everybody. They don't seem to work for a lot of folks. Maybe they're not for you.

hunter

[​IMG]

14. scolfax

scolfax Member

LOL!

15. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I have used this with pretty good success. It def seems mostly about a clean cut. Also analog man has a nice tip on it i found somewhere.

I mainly wonder how much signal loss might be happening and have considered getting soldered cables. The Lava tightrope system looks interesting too but I already have so many George L's and they are not cheap.

16. Thewaker43

Thewaker43 Member

Agreed. A clean cut seems to be the key. But if soldering is an option, that is the way I would go. I started soldering my own a couple years ago and trust them much more then my George L's. Like OotMagroot said, it's much easier then you think. After just a few you will be knocking them out in no time.

17. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Hunter is right. I use the OotMagroot method (and that shown on the video above, rolling (not crushing) the cable to cut) and haven't had a problem with my 90 degree George L's failing in the 10 yrs. or so I've used them. I don't jam 'em in, I get it snug but not too jammed. I have seen the cap loosen a bit though and am considering using some thread locker on them. Good luck.

18. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I have found the rubber "strain relief" caps seem to prevent the metal caps from loosening. I guess they add friction and dampen vibrations or something. I don't see how they provide any strain relief though.

hunter

19. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

No offense but if you're asking for instructions it's too much for you. This product is not for everyone.

I'd check out some soldered or pay someone to make some custom cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. scolfax

scolfax Member

Well to be fair there are some people who have used them for years but could still benefit from these tips. Once you get the technique down I think George L's vs the competition is a no-brainer.