Best way to get distortion at 'bedroom' volumes is...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by myke232, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I do the latter. I have an Ibanez TS9, Ibanez SD9 and a Tonebone Hot British into the clean channel (tube) of a Fender Super Champ X2.

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

attenuators dont work for bedroom volumes...unless its a 1 watt amp or something (cranked 1 watt tube amp is still too loud for bedroom)

I use clean tube amps and dirt pedals

3. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

VVR! thats a tweed deluxe on 12 at 3am.

[​IMG]

4. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

The clean channel of the SCXD is not tube...it's a digital model as well...the same as voice 4 on the gain side. This is a big mis-conception about these amps. There is NO all tube signal path.

5. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

It's buffered (pre-amp) by half of the 12AX7. Changing that tube will greatly change the sound of the amp, and not the clean channel only. Very easy to test this since there's just one 12AX7; and anyone who can't hear the differences, well, it wouldn't much matter anyway.

6. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

good to know, thanks :)

7. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

Whatever it is, tube/digital/hybrid, it still sounds damn good to me at all volume levels. Sick bedroom amp. LOVE mine.

[​IMG]

8. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

When you set your clean and dirty channel volumes at 0 and start working your way up to those whisper levels, at some point very low on the scale they jump up at you a bit on a lot of MV amps. And those levels could be different between channels. One, or both of those volumes may be a bit higher than what you want. So by evenly setting both your channel volumes well above whisper-quiet, 1) I think it is easier to balance their levels, 2) the pot in the volume pedals can go from off to up to those low levels you need quite smoothly, with no break in the sonic action, unlike the MV controls, and 3) you can bring it up with the volume pedal to teaching or practice levels without having to rebalance the volume differences between the two channels, if you had left it up to just the channel masters.

And for my needs, by doing this, my amp still 'feels' like it is being played loud at all but the most extreme quiet setting. In no way does it sound thin or anemic in either my clean or pushed channels.

9. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

The preamp on both channels is digital. The 12ax7 is part of the power amp. It will change the tone to change that tube, but not before the signal goes through the all digital preamp.

10. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

My experience is with a Victoria Regal running one 6L6 for 5 watts. That's still very loud at significant breakup. I had Carr mercury for ages. It was good but you'd have to run it at 1/2 watt max and at that setting I found the bass got fuzzy. At 2 watts it's not quiet.

You might be better with a master vol type amp. There will be many but the best one I've heard online (as much as you can tell) was a Tone King. There will be others though.

Realistically though I'd run your amp clean and use a pedal of some sort for that context. Not ideal but practical.

Or, just use and ipad or similar with Amplitube and some headphones. That can sound pretty good.

11. candid_x

That's like putting digital pedals into the front of an amp. The amp still requires a boost before it hits the output tubes. Agreed, it functions between the digital preamp and buffers (similar to what a preamp does) before the output tubes. But to infer (which you haven't but many others regularly do) that a given 12AX7 has no effect on the sound of a SCXD is flat out wrong. The effect in sound is as significant as the choice of output tubes. I prefer a fresh Tung Sol 12AX7 in it after A/B comparing it to several others on more than one occasion. Before you say that's all in my head, try it. Try an EH and a Tung Sol for a good comparrison.

But each to their own. I rarely use mine anymore but it's still great to have around for kicks and a small backup, especially when run through a 1x12 cab.

12. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

You won't get any arguement from me...I had the VCXD for a long while, and changing the 12ax7 tube always made a difference...I just wanted to clarify that there is no all tube signal path in either amp.

13. candid_x

Thanks for your input, Tom.

14. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

You're welcome:beer

15. Sir Douglas T

Sir Douglas T Supporting Member

:hide Plug in a Carol-Ann...........I can whisper while I jam and my wife can still hear me. Wait I'm not so sure this topic is good for married guys, I liked it better when I could say" I couldn't hear you dear I was practicing. :brickDoh!

16. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

For me, it’s a well designed, low watt amp with attenuator. Attenuators do a good job with 15 watt amp, less good trying to tame a 100 watter.

17. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Also don't forget using either a padded down to line level head output with loadbox into CAB IR's efx and monitors or good home stereo speakers.

As above but with a good Guitar tube preamp.

As above but with a modeler.

IMO for very low volume inspiring tones you want to avoid Guitar Speakers with huge magnets-you should, using above techniques sound about as good as______(tone hero) does through your Monitors or Home Stereo Speakers at same playback volume.

And the other option is using hardware Cab sims like Palmer Etc. and some of the newer digital hardware Cab Sims.

Again you're not going to get the huge sounds of a Marshall at 130db -but as good as tones on recordings played back on same system.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  18. jpage

jpage Member

+10000. That's exactly what this technology excels at. No brainier.

19. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Acoustic guitar played with a serrated knife instead of a pick.

20. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

I can play my XTC infront of my kids, great tone low low volume, or i can make my friends ears hurt at practice, high volume, great tone.