Best Way To Get Music On Itunes?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rwe333, May 18, 2015.

1. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Sorry... Have yet to do this and I imagine policies have changed over the years.

2. Horseandguitarguy

Horseandguitarguy Member

I go through CD Baby. Great company, they handle everything. Also, they'll let you do an album or just individual songs.

3. spiral

spiral Member

Same here. I preferred CD Baby because it is a lifetime submission (so far). With other services there are maintenance fees every year. For how much I make on my albums ($0) it was nicer to just have it submit once and not worry about it. Also they submit to all the major digital stores (Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, etc) and streaming services (Spotify, Rdio, etc.).

I don't know if this is changed but I had to buy barcodes / UPC codes for each album from a barcode service (CD Baby didn't offer it or it was cheaper through another vendor, I can't recall). It was only a few dollars and I think I got 10 barcodes or something.

It's fairly painless if you already have high res album art and your files are ready to go.

A few things I learned:
    • non-traditional capitalization is not honored or is handled inconsistently. ie. if you have a song "Circus LION" it will be "Circus Lion" on the service. Same with band names. I have "IQ" in a band name and it is sometimes listed as "Iq"
    • You have to have titles for everything. You can't have a song named "untitled", nor "untitled 1" etc.

4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Depending on the device, adding music has become difficult to impossible. I can't seem to add anything anymore to my 120g iPod classic. Just doesn't take.

5. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

6. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I'd say CD Baby just for the "do-it-once-and-you're-done"-ness of it. I've used Tunecore a couple of times, but the annual fees where higher than the money I was making in return.

7. taez555

taez555 Member

CDBaby is initially more expensive, and looks like they take a slightly higher %, but it's a lifetime flat fee.

Tunecore is cheaper at first, but you have to renew annually, but they pay a higher %.

It really depends how much music you're expecting to sell. Look into both, and weigh out the benefits of each.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It looks like people aren't sure what you're asking. Do you want to add songs to your iTunes library, or do you want to submit music to iTunes for sale online?

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Sorry. Looking to submit music for sale on iTunes