Best way to get reverb/delay with my '68 50 watter...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zerocharisma, Jul 1, 2008.

1. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Supporting Member

Hey fellow gearheads,

So right now the only pedals I own are a Strobostomp Tuner and a Dunlop Wah (and it hardly sees any use). I'm currently looking to customize my own unique tone by adding a few effects and was hoping to get some suggestions. The amp in question is my Marshall '68 50 watt bass plexi. Obviously, there are no fx loops or anything like that. I think the one key element I'm looking for now is a subtle, tasteful way to get reverb and/or delay. I've been looking at the Maxon AD999 but am leaning towards something like an old Lexicon MXP-1. Just to give you some idea of what I'm shooting for, I think Mike Landau gets great, full ambient sounds that aren't overdone (and his guitar tone is amazing, as well, but that's for another thread!)

By the way, I keep hearing about wet/dry rigs. Can someone explain this to a true noob? Thanks!

2. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I used to play through a '68 50 watter. As for true reverb, I suspect you will not find anything that will sound decent into the front end of this amp when reasonably cranked. If you mic the cabinet you could add some reverb at the board.

Otherwise, a delay set to a low mix level always worked well for me in front on a non-master volume Marshall. The Maxon AD999 is a good choice.

3. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

I own a '69 small top,

I have to have a little "wet" in my sound (ambience) , I just don't dig "dry" at all.

I like analog delays into the front, Boss dm-3's are great into this amp. digital delays too me only sound good thru a loop.

The best verb in a pedal I've used into the front end is the EH Holy Grail PLUS. Excellent in every way.

Hope that helps.

plexi

4. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

To get the full Landau effect, especially with an amp with no FX loop, the wet/dry route that you mention may be the only way to go.

Simply put, your effects are fed from a line out from the amp or from a mic on your cabinet. The effects are then sent to their own amp into a separate cabinet(s). Often a mixer is involved. Since the effects are being sent to their own amp/cabinets, the primary tone from your amp isn't mucked up by any signal processing.

Eric Johnson and Larry Carlton both mic their main (dry) cabinet and send this signal to a mixer. Their effects are run through the FX sends on the mixer as they would be in the studio and then the mixer output goes to a pair of powered monitors. All 3 speakers - dry/wet/wet - are mic'd.

Terry

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Gotta be post-mic. Everything else sounds nasty and mucky to me. I'm not even a big fan of FX loops (though they are MUCH more convenient). If you don't need reverb at practices and stuff, I would just mic it and stick a little reverb pedal/rack in the PA Mixer's effects loop (or even use the provided reverb most mixers have). Its simple, but its not easy to hear as a guitarist unless you are getting your stage feed mostly from the monitors, and there has to be a little trust between you and the sound guy.

6. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice so far. That makes a lot of sense. Argh, I thought I'd be at least close to done with buying more gear (but then again, look where we are)! So apart from the actual effects I want, I need at least a mixer and some monitors or another cab, right? Any gear in particular you'd recommend for this post-mic system? For example, mixer, monitors, etc? I don't want to spend a small fortune just to have some reverb or delay...

7. Tom-Andrew

Tom-Andrew Member

I really think you should try with a simple delay or reverb pedal in front before you go full out wet/dry/wet!

Just consider the hassle of having to lug all that gear around... Yikes!

Better yet; bring your amp to your local store or borrow some gear from your friends and try both rigs.

However, if you decide on W/D/W:
    A simple way of getting a wet/dry/wet rig is to use a line-out box, a mixer, an effects unit and a couple of Tech21 Powerengines or a pair of powered monitors, which means you don't have to get multiple guitar amps to do the trick...

8. MARK1970

MARK1970 Member

You can buy an ISO line out from John Suhr. For me reverbs just sound terrible in front of an amp. One way to add reverb with no loop is to use the ISO line out. You basically would send your speaker cable from amp into the ISO line box. Then from the ISO box back to your cab. Now with the ISO box in between your head and cab you have a line out. With the line out you can send this signal to a unit like a mpx1. From the mpx1, you would then send a signal to a power amp. The power amp would than go to another cab. This would be your wet cab. If I am correct, if you run your left and right out from your fx unit to a stereo power amp, you would have two wet cabs. This would be your W/D/W. I have heard set ups like this and it sounds amazing. Using one cab sounds great aswell, but you will not get the benefit of true stereo for some of the effects like ping ponging. Check out the ISO box at the Suhr sight it is pretty interesting.

9. Lance

Lance Member

I like those little Yamaha mixers. They aren't that much more than the Behringers, and sound a lot better. Better quality pots on all of the knobs. Here's the one I use for lotsa stuff...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-10INPUT-STEREO-MIXER?sku=630138

Mine's an older model that doesn't have the compressors. Which I do wish it had. Actually, nowadays I'd get a USB mixer, but these are only a hundred bucks. For monitoring, you have a lot of options. None of which are really all that cheap. I'd suggest getting a nice sounding older solidstate power amp, and put a JBL E-120 in a floor slant to put behind you. These things sound great, and can be had on eBay for about $200.00...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-SAE-A55...ryZ50593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's pretty much a poor man's McIntosh. It will definitely sound killer with a couple of JBL's. Definitely much, MUCH better than something like those JBL EON's. But those are a bit more portable. Yeah, I'd try a Holy Grail first too! Ya never know, it may work for you.

10. Lance

Lance Member

Hey! Now there's a great piece of advice there. I didn't know of these ISO boxes. It's too bad they don't have a return jack, so you didn't have to lug around all of the extra stuff. Does John still post around here? Maybe he'll add that in the future, if we ask really nice. :eek:

11. MARK1970

MARK1970 Member

Check out Mojoverb, your speaker out from the amp goes to the input of the Mojoverb, than from the Mojoverb to your cab. The mojoVerb is a stand alone reverb unit that goes right in the middle of your head and speaker. It looks like a boom box and has 2 speakers I believe. There is a volume control on there so you can bleed what you desire into your dry sound. These go for about $600.00.