Best way to get rid of mosquitos?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by billyg121, Apr 20, 2016.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

what do you guys think actually works. Im going to try this summer to lessen standing/ponding water, but any othet prep on the yard and house that might help? Thanks for thoughts on this!

2. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Eliminating standing and stagnant water is one of the most effective things you can do. If they don't have the water around to lay eggs in it will greatly reduce their numbers. Even small amounts give them a breeding ground. Keeping your grass mowed so it doesn't retain a lot of moisture helps as well.

We used to have slob neighbor a few years ago who didn't mow his grass and always had swampy areas and standing water in his back yard...mosquitos were rampant. I could stand on my patio and just see them flying around over there, and of course coming over into my yard. The woman that lives there now keeps her grass mowed and keeps the yard maintained, no standing water. Hardly any mosquitos now.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    RCM78 and Cruciform like this.
  3. FFTT

FFTT Member

Yup good yard drainage and eliminate any place that can collect sitting water.

4. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

All of the above.

The standing water part is #1- no standing water

5. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Make sure gutters are draining.

skydog and Icedstevo like this.
  6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Problem is your neighbors all need to comply too.
    Not sure what to do near wetlands, ponds etc.

skydog likes this.
  7. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Show them 2hbstrat threads.

73171, EricPeterson, sanrico and 3 others like this.
  8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The 'Mosquito Magnet' and similar systems get great reviews. They work by converting propane to CO2, attracting and trapping the nymphs, and eventually eradicating them nearly completely from large areas for entire seasons. Not the cheapest, but from all I've read, easily the most effective.

smokinop likes this.
  9. Dr. Zorlac

Dr. Zorlac Member

What will the birds eat?!!

10. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I have seen hummingbirds eating mosquitos and fruit flies, Bats are awesome at skeeter eating. Barn Swallows too, Purple Martins suppose to be the best at it
    Here in the SLV, all the artesian water makes for big bunches of skeeters, until they find the elk and suddenly disappear, but until they find the elk, they are horrible, and danged if they don't start sucking your blood before they even fully land on you. Last year, on a bright sunny afternoon, light wind blowing, skeeters were so bad at our place I was trying to put a new battery in my Jeep and they drove me nutz flying in my eyes and ears

Otto Tune likes this.
  11. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Don't pee in your backyard, you know that place you go after every other beer, lol.

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Smoke!
    Wherever you go, just be smoking a bowl as you go. No mosquitos will bother you.

Noise Under The Floor and FFTT like this.
  13. calpa94

calpa94 Member

14. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

that's the kind of neighbor you want to give a buglight to.;)

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That's exactly what my mother-in-law said when I suggested a Mosquito Magnet! They have an island with their summer home in Sweden, and we visit for a week or so each summer. It's a beautiful spot and life that would be way better without the damn mosquitos! The Swedish side of the family, wife included, barely seem to notice, but the mosquitos must think of American blood as a delicacy as they bite the daylights out of me and our sons.

I did some research and came up with these wonderful systems, but the Swedes were more concerned with the potential loss of food for the birds and fish than my intolerance of the flying blood suckers, but I know I'll eventually sell them on the idea!

16. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I usually just leave a nude, fat corpse for them to feed from in my backyard.

djdrdave likes this.
  17. wilto

wilto Member

18. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Dragonflies are mosquito hunter killers, they snatch 'em right out of the air.

19. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Yep, I would've liked to have dropped one into some standing water, with him standing in it. They bought the house from the original owners who kept it immaculate. Him, his kids, and dogs just trashed the place. Grass was always overgrown, yard reeked of dog crap if you got close enough to the fence between our yards, kids knocked the downspout off the gutter on one side trying to climb it! Then on the same side of the house they broke the sump pump discharge pipe off so it was flush with the side of the house and no longer connected to the ground drain. Water would literally just spew out of the side of the house when the pump kicked on, which was often considering water just pooled around that corner of the house due to those two things. The pump apparently cycled so much it burned up and then water backed up into the basement. It was a festering mosquito farm and hatchery over there all summer. Never seen so many mosquitoes.

20. aldocello

aldocello Member

If you do have standing water that you can't eliminate try pouring a little baby oil on it. Supposedly it coats the water and keeps the larvae from hatching. As a personal protection device use a "Thermacell" It really works to keep the mosquitos away from you.