best way to get your amp direct to interface / studio quality

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Ruiner, May 6, 2015.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Here's what i'd like:

Use my tube amps. Don't want a modeler. Skip my cab and go direct into recording for silent recording when necessary (monitors when not), get the best quality sound possible, and USER FRIENDLY.

I don't have a lot of time so i don't want to be hunting down IR's, going through several interfaces or programs etc. Biggest preference is PLUG AND PLAY. Sounds great and can require little to no Post EQ when you don't feel like doing that.

Thinking Loader and Attenuator combined? If it matters, i'm using an Apollo Twin Duo interface and Pro Tools 11.

Here's what i've been suggested:

Two Note Torpedo Live - seems great, pretty pricey but a contender so far.

Fryette Power Station w/ IRs

Just send my FX loop to the interface and use the UAD 2 plugins or other IRs

Rivera Rock Crusher w/ IRs

AMT Pangaea Power Eater w/ IRs

Weber with IRs

Forget it and get a Kemper

What do you suggest and why? Doesn't have to be in the list. Remember, i want to use my amps, plug and play, ease of use, studio quality sound, record direct and silently when preferred (no cab micing).

Whatcha got?

Thanks in advance!

2. mix2much

mix2much Member

I really like the Torpedo Live. It sounds great, comes with a lot of great sounding cab irs and is pretty intuitive to use. I also really like having the irs in the hardware as latency is really low and makes recording your amp a snap. If swingin that kind of dough is too much to stomach, the Suhr reactive load and an IR in the computer would be my next option.

3. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

I've got one for you to try out for free -
    get the demo of the torpedo wall of sound plugin. Then you can send your line out to the interface, and use the power amp simulation and cab IR's of the plugin. It should give you a good idea of whether the torpedo products are for you, and, if you're not looking for a portable solution, would be cheaper to buy than any of the torpedo hardware.

4. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I went with the Weber and IR's and I'm "really" happy!

Weber + Ownhammer IR:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/victorcastrooficial/jam-e[/SOUNDCLOUD]

5. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Money is not much of an issue. I want whatever is best. Good to hear more positive feedback on the Torpedo Live.

The good thing about the Apollo Interface is the plugins are IN the hardware too so latency doesn't become an issue. Unfortuntely the UAD 2's are limited at this time but they have some cab room simulators that can work like this.

6. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

I'll check it out. Thanks!

7. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

That sounds great! This would be a much cheaper route than the Two Notes as well... hmmm...

8. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

The OP says
    Torpedoes are modelers (at least, in their power amp aspect). Weber would be a good choice--I've used it with a tube head in the past. If the money is not a problem, then the signal chain would be guitar>tube amp>attenuator>IR's box (they have been around for quite some time)>computer interface>computer.

9. mix2much

mix2much Member

I don't use the torpedo live's power amp modeling. That is optional.

10. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

yeah the power amp modeling option is cool to have but i want to use my amps. That's the primary goal. I like the idea of having power amp modeling too.. another big plus for the Torpedo.

11. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

As I said in the other thread, Suhr Reactive Load. :aok

12. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Someone else mentioned that too so it's on the short list!

Trying to narrow it down cause there''s a lot out there and everyone seems to have different opinions on what's best!

13. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

I don't know where you live, but if you have the option of using the return policy of a particular store, then go and try different things till you get what you need.

14. xervinx

xervinx Member

Try palmer pga-04 or mesa cabclone + good eq.

15. djd100

djd100 Member

a) Two Notes Torpedo Studio with it's reactive or resistive load, modeled tube power amp sims, stereo or dual-mono real-time adjustable ir's, static ir's, eq, digital i/o, complete midi control, software editor and ir mix and capture software.

b) Torpedo Live with it's reactive load, modeled tube power amp sims, real-time adjustable ir's, static ir's, eq, digital output, complete midi control, software editor and ir mix and capture software.

c) If your amp's have a fx loop, then the Torpedo CAB can save you some money if you use the modeled tube power amp sims which are excellent (modeled tube power amp sims, real-time adjustable ir's, static ir's, eq, complete midi control, software editor and ir mix and capture software.).

I find no need to use my various tube amp's power sections anymore personally, the tube power amp sims are that good when used with quality tube preamps.

You'd use your tube amp's preamp (the critical element IMO), and the torpedo's tube power amp sims/cab sims. You would keep your speaker plugged in to load the amp correctly, and put a dummy plug into the FX Return if need be to silence the speaker.

The CAB can also be used in the FX Loop of a high powered amp as the ultimate master volume.

Good luck...

16. djd100

djd100 Member

While analog cab sims like this can generate generic guitar tones, they cannot accurately mimic the cab/speaker/mic/mic-preamp record chain like the convolution solutions can.

If you want the ability to accurately sound like any cab/speaker/mic/mic preamp, in addition to acoustic instrument bodies etc then you want convolution.

Seeing the cab/speaker/mic/mic preamp has as much to do with the final tone as the amp itself, you can see that it's a critical element.

If you'd be satisfied with a few simple three or four band analog eq then the analog cab sims could work for you.

17. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

Also forgot to mention that o want to be able to use my pedal board of that makes a difference at all.

18. manicompression

manicompression Member

I currently have the Weber ir setup going on. I use recabinet or nebula to load ir's because I think they account for speaker dynamics better than the other options I've tried. I have to say the fyette seems like a slightly more elegant solution and also useful for other scenarios, like if you wanted to hook up a multi effects unit via 4cm on an amp with a poor or no loop. I think the two notes products are the most plug and play solutions but based on the demo vst loader I'm not wowed by the sounds or dynamics. Unfortunately I still think that micing a cabinet is superior sounding by a small but noticeable margin in regards to mixing rock music in a daw.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  19. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

20. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I use the rockcrusher with IRs and have used a hotplate with IR's. Both sound great. One note about the rockcrusher, you can't get it to be totally silent. It will be pretty damn quiet, about the volume of your electric guitar unamplified, but it's not totally silent.

You could also try the mesa cab clone. My understanding is you don't need to use the built in cab emulation (though you may like it). I think there is also a line out that could be used in conjunction with IRs.

One nice thing about using IRs in your recording software vs having them applied via hardware when you record, you can change IRs after the fact to further tweak your tone.

This one is the Rockcrusher

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/project-dome/metal-or-gtfo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

And this is the hotplate

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/project-dome/the-land-of-ice-and-snow[/SOUNDCLOUD]