Best way to improve Protools HD rig?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by louderock, Mar 6, 2008.

1. louderock

louderock Member

Running 40 outputs of Protools HD into an SSL 4000G. Generally print mixes off the SSL stereo buss back to a stereo track in Protools. What would be the single thing I could do to improve this setup?

- A high quality A/D converter for the stereo channel I print mixes to.

- Big Ben or some other clock. (there is debate about whether Protools works best with its own clock)

- ????

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

3. mds

mds Member

What kind of budget? I love using the Cranesong HEDD at the end of a mix. Great A/D/A as well as great tube/tape saturation effects.

4. louderock

louderock Member

I could spend a few thousand. Can't exactly dish out the huge money a Lavry. Just wondering how much difference it really makes, having a high $$$ converter as opposed to the 192. Has anyone truly AB'd one against the other. You really have to flip button A to button B to test something like this. You can't really base it on what you think you remember the other sounded like. I've never had the opportunity to do this. Any thoughts on the Big Ben vs the digidesign internal clock?

5. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

How do you have Pro Tools and the SSL synched together for mixing?

Rail

6. elambo

elambo Member

I went several years on a 192 using internal clock, then switched to a Big Ben when it was first released and was very happy with the difference. Tighter bass. Snappier transients. Wider image. It's an upgrade for sure, and especially when it's clocking multiple devices.

7. louderock

louderock Member

I don't really sync the transport on Protools with the SSL. I generate smpte from my sync i/0 into the Read input on the console and the automotion works fine just receiving a time code stream.

8. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

9. louderock

louderock Member

I've seen the Smart box before. Seems to work well. I just prefer navigating quickly with a mouse click in Protools as opposed to sending transport commands through the console. Never had a problem just free-wheeling smpte into the SSL computer.

I'll have to borrow a Big-Ben to test. I think a lot of that stuff is psycho-somatic. In theory it's better, therefore you think you are hearing an improvement. Not saying that's what the Big Ben is like, but I don't always buy into these 'night and day difference' statements.

10. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I've heard nothing but great things about the Aurora 16 converters...You can run 16 analog i/o and 16 digital i/o simultaneously, so it'll show up as 2 Digi192's.

Need I mention, only 1 rack unit? And very reasonably priced...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Aurora16/