Best way to interface Pedals with Vocals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mild, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mild

mild Member

Does anyone have experience with this?

I want to use a DL-4 to loop my vocals and get a bit crazy. I've done it successfully at home, and it sounds really great to me - but my sound guru tells me that as soon as you introduce a big PA, plus long cable runs - doing unbalanced guitar effects to the desk is a no no - hiss, noise, evil leprechauns, etc.

My current idea is to use a small channel mixer, feed the Mic into a channel so that it is balanced and at the correct level, then feed the DL-4 from the Mic's effects send, then finally from the DL-4 into the mixer's 2nd channel, and out. Will this work? Are Line Level (eg what the Effects send sends out) and Instrument Level (eg what the DL-4 is designed to take) the same thing?

2. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

looks like no one wants to touch this one:horse i'd say work with the sound guy and tell him what you want to do. His rack fx are much better sounding than any line 6 crap. His job is to give you what you want. Thats his job and your the so called artist.

3. mild

mild Member

True story - and I'd work with him to do it, except that I want to do looping - I need this pedal at my feet, and I need to be controlling it so that I can harmonise myself in time.

I guess I could save for a new Echoplex in the future... but that won't get me through the next month's gigs.

4. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

a small mackie VLZ3 mixer might work. Use the fx loop then return to one of the stereo channels 1/4" mono in. that will give you eq and switchable input +4 -10. if it still doesn't match up try a transformer hi to low z /low to high z on the send also. send him a low z signal

i guess you could do it with a transformer on the mic too low to high z to the pedal into a channel. Send a low z signal to him

5. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

6. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

Dam! that does sound like the ticket and cheaper than my ideal still no eq tho. But you could add a eq.
    kool!

7. mild

mild Member

Thanks very much, that helps a lot! :dude

... and THAT is BRILLLLLLLIANT!!!! :dude :dude :dude