Best way to jam online/virtually

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Ilsenhab, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:09 AM.

1. Ilsenhab

Ilsenhab Member

Hey Guys, looking for the best low latency way to jam online, any great apps out there that work with an audio interface?

jens5 likes this.
  2. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

I'd be interested as well.

3. aldridt11

aldridt11 Member

Im checking out jamkazam. No opinion yet.

4. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Don’t think anything exists with low enough latency to work for a high quality jam, but make standards low enough and something might work. Right time to be doing it!

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

We're going to try jammr tonight. The interface seems spartan at best, but we'll see.

6. Quad4

Quad4 Member

This looks promising and technically sound: https://elk.audio/5g/

Any real-time jamming solution, will need some sort of telecom infrastucture improvement (or similar).

ctreitzell likes this.
  7. Ilsenhab

Ilsenhab Member

Awesome, thanks guys. Keep me/us posted. I looked into Cubase VST Connect, but it's $149. I'd even be fine with a reasonable amount of latency - i.e., could do more ambient jamming over a common groove.

8. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

The question is both latency and audio quality. If you’re not demanding about either, just try Zoom or Skype or similar.

jens5 likes this.
  9. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

The one I tried (can’t remember what it was) was unusable for making real time music. It had a click track and everything was behind by a preset amount of latency, so you play something, partner hears it four beats later (or whatever) responds and you hear it 4 beats later, etc.

10. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I’ve been waiting for no latency online jamming since the 90’s .... at this point I kinda don’t care anymore because I can’t afford the required technology anyway and at the pace technology has slowed to(not even related to current events) I highly doubt it will even be affordable and readily available in n my lifetime.

11. JPMTO

JPMTO Member

I've heard JamKazam is good, but interested if there is anything better?

I know having an ethernet cable vs wifi is key to low latency.

12. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Your local network (ethernet/wifi) is a very small part of the network. Important, but not the entire problem.

13. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Would love to see some more info on JamKazam or hear user feedback. Their site is pretty limited on details and high on promises for the remote jamming as well as their low latency hardware interface.

I suspect there is no magic to what they do, they are just OK, and have the standard latency issues.

Certainly for online lessons (where playing in sync with a remote musician is not the issue), it should be fine.

14. Ejay

Ejay Member

You need under 12 ms latency to play music....that’s not gonna happen with current network speeds...especially not over long distance.

check kompoz.com for a nice technical platform to interact with others.