Best way to "keep" guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iggs, Mar 24, 2008.

Best way to "keep" electric, solid body guitars?

1. Case

2. Stand

3. Wall mount (hanger)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iggs

iggs Member

Wondering what the consensus is on the way to keep and store regularly played guitars.
    Which way is the best to ensure the neck does not warp or damage in any way in the long run.

2. redeyejedi

redeyejedi Member

I always store mine in the case unless I'm playing, about to play, or gonna continue playing after a break.

3. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I keep mine on wall hangars. I play them every day so it'd be a pain to drag them out of their cases each time I reached for one. I only use the cases when transporting them.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I hang em on the wall...don't even know where some of my cases are cuz I use gig bags for gigs. Then again I don't get as wound up about dust, scratches etc as many here do. They're just tools, and I like them convenient.

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

In my hands or in the case.

6. Nick_

Nick_ Member

My 2 (I'm fairly young and poor by TGP standards) stay on stands where I play them everyday.

I'm not the type to open and close my case when I'm at home. My case, however, is always ready travel, with extra strings, a patchcord and a tuner safely stowed inside, so when I'm running late it's stand to case and out the door.

7. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

I keep most in stands and rotate some into cases. Putting the stands in the room is a space problem though. I have a combo of triples, singles and a 7 holder.

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I keep my guitars on a stand.
    They only go in their cases when they travel.
    My music room/studio is always kept at 50% humidity.

9. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Don't sell them.

:jo

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

The ones I play every single day can be found on stands, on couch, on comfy chairs, on table, occasionally in gig bags, etc. A little haphazard, but I make sure they're always out of harm's way, and I never had a problem.

11. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

The only problem with stands.. damn cats:

[​IMG]

I got home from work one day and found that. After investigating I determined the cause to be a cat knocking over the Fender case into the guitars, which then fell into each other. Sad day :(

12. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Life is too short to take a case out open it, remove the guitar, play it put it back and put a case away. If it costs me a couple of hundred dollars in maintenance a year so be it. Acoustics, they are more prone to twisting an turning, so they are in the case.

13. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I like having them readily available to grab & go. Individual stands can get tipped, and aren't space efficient when you have too many. So I went with a little rack. I do keep my Gibby LP in a case, however.
    [​IMG]

14. Birddog

Birddog Member

I keep my Fender Strats and my acoustic out on stands, ready to play. I keep my two LP's in their cases. Contrary to popular belief on this thread, it's not a major investment in time to open a case....

:jo

15. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

+ 1

16. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

It depends on the guitar.
    My Gibsons are in cases. The others are all on stands.

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I keep Gibsons in their cases as I don't want to have to glue my headstock back on in the event the stand tips over.

My Strats could probably fall down a flight of steps and be just fine, so they don't stay in the case. :D

18. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It depends what's going on in the studio that day, as well as what guitar we're talking about.

There are times when the guitars are just everywhere. It's a little chaotic, but it's nice to just have them ready to play or experiment with sounds when producing tracks. I also keep the most often used ones readily accessible, others...they live on the bottom of the case pile. Most of the time the strat is out just for plinking. It's a homebrew relic that's been trashed intentionally. The L-00 or the Martin is out for pickin' upstairs usually with the other loose in the studio. The 335s are in a gigbag in the corner with a bunch of others in bags. Then the case pile- 20+ with the more delicate/expensive/less often used stuff.

Generally I think it's best to keep guitars cased or in a bag. With the exception of keeping a guitar out and ready at all times for couch plays and spontaneous practice. That's usually the acoustic. If they're cased, they do get played less when you have 25+ instruments. FWIW I haven't played my banjo in 3 months since I cased it. I better get busy- however I must say my ukulele playing is getting better!

Peace,

JD

19. sqadan

sqadan Member

Cases for all my guitars... Too much invested in them to take a chance on the cats knocking em' over. Plus, the added benfit of the wife never really knowing what I've brought home recently!

20. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    in a humidified room in a stand off the floor on top of my dresser away from all outside walls (cold or warm)

If I Seldom play them then the are in a case/ bass-/ 12 string