Best way to link up two combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JJexp, May 21, 2015.

1. JJexp

JJexp Member

Anyone playing out of two combo amps? How are you linking them up? A/B box?
    What'll get the job done without spending hundreds?

2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

A/B/Y box usually works good. I like the ones with the phase switch (or polarity switch), just in case one of the amps is our of phase with the other.

Since I rarely use two amps, but do every now and again - I've been known to use a: Tuner pedal with two outs, or another pedal with two outs, at the end of my chain. It'll work in a pinch.... But if one amp is out of phase with the other, you have to switch the speaker connections around.

Just FYI: If one buzzes real bad, you may need a ground lift on one amp.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

Do a search on the Effects form for ABY boxes. You'll find dozens of threads about what you're looking for.

4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I run a stereo delay last on my board. I bought a used Stereo Boss Chorus for $40 (to do some pretenders covers) and that works too. I was never a chorus fan - but stereo it ain't half bad. A touch of delay on Rock guitar gives me a big sound - but it still produces a split signal even if the pedal is off.

An ABY probably gives a cleaner signal, but I don't know much about that - I'm really a hobbyist at this point.

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I use a simple Y-cable, coming out of my Zoom MFX pedal, that I use for Tape Echo. I don't use the jack as stereo, as it would sometimes cut out one amp. Plus, stereo effects can sound over the top. The Zoom and mono Y-cable has zero noise, no grounding issues, ever.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It depends on how well the amps play together. Similar amps with properly wired cables plugged into a power bar SHOULD prevent ground loops. Unfortunately, not always. The Radial and Lehle stuff have isolating transformers to prevent ground loops, as does the Ebtech Hum Eliminator-any one of these can be found used for less than $100 and will give you much better service than a stereo pedal or ABY box.

7. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I use a Lehle P-Split with a Marshall 1973X and a Victoria 80212.....no battery or power needed.......isolated, ground lift and phase switch. I've got it mounted under my board.

8. jrjones

jrjones Member

I don't do this, but if I did, Id just use the dual outputs ofy last pedal. If I didn't have a pedal with two outs Id buy a radial big shot aby.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Unless you need ground lifts because of hum or phase reversal, I'd just use a buffered stereo delay, reverb or chorus pedal.

Depending on which amps, sometimes you can just jump the inputs.

It would help you'd tell which amps your talking about, smart folks around here can usually tell you if your gonna have phase problems.

For good A/B/Y splitter I'd go for Radial Twin City A/B/Y. It can fix all ground loop hums and phase issues and not to expensive.

10. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  11. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Another option is the Decibel Eleven Split Personality ABY. Same features as the Twin City, but also has MIDI In/Out. So it integrates beautifully with MIDI controllers and allows you to control which amp is on/off from Program or Controller commands. Great unit.

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Definitely check out the Radial Big Shot AB/Y. That's what I use for running 2 combos and it's a great AB/Y for the price. It's passive though so if you're playing through long lengths of cable you might want to look at the active Radial box.