• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best way to mic an acoustic guitar

Louthunder

What is the most natural sounding way to mic an acoustic guitar for under 200 bucks? It must be at least somewhat feed back canceling. I'm thinking LR Baggs,Fishman,Seymour Duncan etc. What has worked best for you guys in Live situations? Thanks !

Micing or plugging into an amp? If it's the latter try to find something like the Roland AC-60 (used) which has an active feedback buster built-in. As far as UST are concerned they sound uniformly crap without outboard signal processing, so you'd need to factor that in, and that would exceed your budget if you're including a pickup.
The Fishman Loudbox Mini is just outside your budget, new, and has a phase switch to counteract feedback.

Louthunder

Micing or plugging into an amp? If it's the latter try to find something like the Roland AC-60 (used) which has an active feedback buster built-in. As far as UST are concerned they sound uniformly crap without outboard signal processing, so you'd need to factor that in, and that would exceed your budget if you're including a pickup.
The Fishman Loudbox Mini is just outside your budget, new, and has a phase switch to counteract feedback.
I am talking about units that fit in the sound hole,under the saddle or Minnie mics that go into the guitar. Or any combination of the three.

ToneDeVille

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Baggs in one acoustic and a Fishman in another. They both sound great.
Can't go wrong with either.
Pick one that has the features you prefer: Vol control, tone control, tuner, eq, or just a simple plug & play, which is my preference.

mccreadyisgod

First thing, you need to distinguish between a microphone and a pickup. A mic picks up the actual sound coming from the instrument, whereas a pickup senses the vibration of either the saddle (under-saddle transducer), the soundboard (contact pickup), or the magnetic field created by the vibrating strings (magnetic pickup). There are thousands of different types of mics, and hundreds of different types of pickups.

In your price range, I'd be looking at either the LR Baggs Element, Fishman Matrix, or Fishman Rare Earth. All three should be installed by a professional, which will add some to the total installed price.

If you really want a mic (I assume this is for live performance with PA system, hence the "feedback" issue), there are lots of great options within your price range, but a mic will inherently suffer from more feedback when compared to a pickup. Also, unless the mic is mounted to the guitar itself, any moving around will cause large fluctuations in volume, tone, and sound quality.

OM Flyer

Supporting Member
I'm quite happy with my LR Baggs Lyric -- it's a microphone that affixes to the bridge plate. You also might look at the K&K Pure Mini. I would choose either of these before going with a straight-up under-saddle transducer like the Element. I've removed those from every guitar I've owned that had one.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Silver Supporting Member
For under $200, for live, and assuming you specifically want a mic, then a Duncan Mag Mic. It's a combination magnetic/mic pickup, fits in the soundhole. I use the fancier Schertler version of the same arrangement, which is more than $200, but it's a terrific solution. Doesn't take much mic to get a natural sound - just a little mixed in with a magnetic pickup, which is much better behaved in terms of feedback.

I think Fishman makes something similar, too.

Mincer

For under $200, for live, and assuming you specifically want a mic, then a Duncan Mag Mic. It's a combination magnetic/mic pickup, fits in the soundhole. I use the fancier Schertler version of the same arrangement, which is more than $200, but it's a terrific solution. Doesn't take much mic to get a natural sound - just a little mixed in with a magnetic pickup, which is much better behaved in terms of feedback.

I think Fishman makes something similar, too.
The Mag Mic was my choice, too. I think it sounds better than any single-source solution.

Trending Topics