Best way to record band practice

Pointbreakd

What is the best way to record my band practice? We record in a big room with no computer etc. Its basically an open classroom at my college. So its just amps and a drum kit. We put a microphone through an amp as well for vocals.

The criteria is it has to be CHEAP and must have decent sound quality.

PintoMusic

I have this old stereo mic from Radio Shack that I used to plug into this 1970's Sony tape deck that I used to use for mic'ing practices. It worked out really well because that Sony tape deck had a built-in limiter on it. It let me have a consistent level and a stereo image.

I think that Sony makes a similar stereo mic now. I'm sure you can use that with any component tape deck or mini-disc player that has L/R mic inputs.

MichaelK

Originally posted by PintoMusic
I think that Sony makes a similar stereo mic now. I'm sure you can use that with any component tape deck or mini-disc player that has L/R mic inputs.

Bingo. I was going to suggest mini disk.

Slydemann

Mini discs are great. It's simple and with a decent microphone you can get a great sound if it's well placed. I'll never go back to cassette. I've made a few live recordings that I would actually put out.

MichaelK

Originally posted by Pointbreakd
we ended up getting a 16 track recorder...
Seeing as you asked the question over three months ago, I suspected you'd already done something by now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom