Best way to record Video with good Audio

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Section10, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Section10

Section10 Member

I have an Edirol already which has a great recording quality, however I want to get an HD camcorder. Since camcorder audio tends to be bad, I want to use the audio from the Edirol. anyone know of an inexpensive HD camcorder that has a external mic output? If not, whats a good program that can erase the original camcorder audio to replace with Edirol audio...?

Thanks.

2. ToddK

ToddK Senior Member

are you using a Mac or a PC?

Much easier to record the audio and video seperately, and join them with Windows Movie Maker or Imovie.

3. Section10

Section10 Member

ToddK! another classical face here great.

I have a PC. Im thinking low budget, basically a video to add to my Edirol recording. Either take separate recordings of the audio (Edirol) and video (HD camera) in which i'd need a program to do.
    Or maybe the Kodak zi8 camera which has an external mic out so i can use both. I wont record a whole lot honestly so I dont want to invest much.

4. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

You won't get *great* audio even with a camcorder with an external mic input. Since you're happy with the Edirol, just use it with the camcorder. When you're ready to record, just start both devices, stand in front of the camera and clap. This will give you a start point for matching your audio with the video since you can line the waveforms up in the video editor. Then just mute the camera audio in the editor.

Hope this helps.

5. Section10

Section10 Member

hmm...nice tip on the clap

would you recommend Sordas or Fuertes style of clap? (sorry flamenco related humor)