Best way to record vocals without a preamp.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gregorybj, Dec 21, 2009.

1. gregorybj

gregorybj Senior Member

I know using microphones, people generally stay about 6 inches away for softer parts and 9 inches for loud parts, but without a preamp, what is the best way to sing so that vocals are near the same volume in a single track? Recently i have been using two separate tracks for verse and chorus vocals so I could adjust the sound levels better. For my purposes I am using an AT2020 usb mic. Also, how would I know the right amount of compression to add? Thanks!

2. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

Use your ears.

There are no magic bullets.

3. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Use an in program/computer compressor. Other than that, use your ears. If you want some serious leveling ( like 0 dynamic range) set a very low threshold.

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Hey Gregory,

I don't mean any disrespect, but from your recent threads I feel you're over-thinking things. I know it's a cliche, but trust your ears ... if it sounds good, it is good. (edit - someone even beat me to it)

Some of the things in your post are way too complicated and cerebral...

The 'best way' to sing so that vocals are near the same volume comes from vocal technique, not micing, recording, or mixing technique.

No one can tell you how much compression you need, or if you need any at all without listening.