Best way to relic a poly guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by turtleheadblues, Feb 23, 2009.

1. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Will steel wool do the trick? Anyone know of a youtube vid or online resource for relicing?

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

Relic it how? If you mean like old nitro, 'fraid it's not gonna happen.
    Just play it hard :)

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Steel wool will just make it look really bad. I wish I knew a secret, but if you MUST relic a poly guitar, heavy duty power tools are your best friend. Why not strip it and refinish it?

4. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I'd go the other way with a poly guitar: Try to make it look minty by giving it a fantastic polish, and shining up the metal bits.

5. asattwanger

asattwanger Member

drop it a couple hunderd times

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

My advice: Don't even try.

The "poly" is catalyzed.....it's more like the "gelcoat on a boat hull" than it is like "a paint job".

If you try to relic it, it (and you, if you don't mind me saying so) will look really silly. A relic job only looks good if it looks "real", and there is simply no way to make a poly guitar look "worn". The finished was designed to resist wear....all you can do is make it look silly.

Maybe a few dents here & there (an honest drop happens now & then, right?), but if you want a "worn" look, forget it.

7. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

Isn't the new Custom Shop Yngwie Malmsteen strat finished with Poly? That thing is reliced.

8. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Put just the body in the back of a pickup with several hundred nuts and bolts and drive around for a week, something will happen, just don't what.:cool:

9. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

From my own personal experience - here's what I would do -

#1 - take the body OFF the guitar

#2- strip all the hardware, etc

#3 - take the guitar OUTSIDE to do this

#4 - lay the body on a firm surface. Wipe off any dirt, etc before this next step

#5 - get a camera - take a pic - put it on Ebay

#6 - buy a different body

:p

10. turtleheadblues

LOL I might just do that.

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Could not agree more. If you want a poly guitar to look relic'ed, the easiest way is to trade it in toward a nitro guitar and relic that one :)

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

The Joe Strummer is as well but I think the relic is done during finishing...This question comes up quite often and there are ways to do it, several websites etc; Id see what the search function turns up.

13. turtleheadblues

Only reason I ask is that I just got a MIM strat and cant afford a F relic and hate the way new things look. I want to play a Mickey Rourke not a Jonas brother.

14. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I'd say the guitar has to live the Mickey Rourke life, then. Otherwise it's just the Jonas Brothers with makeup.

15. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Hmm well Mickey Rourke used to be cute...To follow your analogy could some clever makeup turn a Jonas Bros into 'The Wrestler'?

16. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

LOL...almost exactly what I said!

17. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I had a 72 Jazz Bass where the poly had broken off and worn in over the years. It actually looked really cool. Bare wood was showing through. I wouldn't try to get that effect unnaturally though. It seems like the learning curve could be really steep on replicating that look.

[​IMG]

18. crifasta

crifasta Silver Supporting Member

You could pummel one of those Jonas Bros. to make them look like Mickey Rourke. :boxer Same thing with a poly strat - beat it up.

19. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

I relic'd an poly body and neck with decent results.

I took the guitar appart and first sanded the typical wear marks in, moving from heavy grit, (600 to 300) to finer and finer. I then dinged the guitar randomly and rubbed various things on it like clable ends and such. I then hit it hard with steel woool, 0000, and then proceded to buff the body with a heavy 3M compound. Poly scratches really really easy, but doesn't buff out the same. So with the heavy compound you get a cool patina type effect. I then used graphite to dull the bare wood, both on the body and neck. (you can also use potasium sulfate dilluted in watter to actually oxidize the wood.)
    The hardware and bathed in a mixture of Ferric Chloride, or Etchant Solution and water.
    And, after having digned it and then puting it out in the cold, I did get some cracks stemming out of the dings.

It works for me,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  20. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I've dont it before, and it looks nice. It is REALLY HARD to do though. The body that I got someone tried relicing it and it looked bad.

To get finish checking you need to head the body up and then freeze it really fast. Where on a Nitro finish you just freeze it and it finish checks. Really fine sandpaper also. I'll try to get some pics up if I get time.

But my suggestions is the same that others have already said, just get another body, or have it completly refinished in Nitro.