Best way to run 2 amps, one signal. ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrt, Jun 19, 2014.

1. mrt

mrt Member

I picked up a old orange OR. I love the tone of it. My main amp is a laboga. I bought the Morley aby switcher pedal but it's really noisy. Anything better out there? Any one else run 2 amps at once? Any other tricks I should know? Lmk. Thanks.

2. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

This is what I use. Affordable and perfect. No added noise at all.
    http://www.loop-master.com/product_i...products_id=33

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

4. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Are Axess BS-2 buffer/splitters still around? They were good, prevented hum and had a phase reversal switch. Small too.

I should have kept mine. :(

6. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I like the Lehle switchers.

7. grind1

grind1 Member

Been running a Lehle for 12 years with excellent results.

8. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Different approach than you probably want - but has worked for me.....wireless with two identical receivers, one for each amp

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

10. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I have a TC Electronics Flashback at the end of my pedal board and for those rare times I bring 2 amps I just plug in to the L + R outputs. Works great when the pedal is not on and you get this amazing stereo delay sound when engaged.

11. groove machine

groove machine Member

I built my own splitter with a buffered input and transformer isolated outputs. But if I had to do it over I would hunt down an Axess.

12. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I sometimes play through two amps, but never need to switch back and forth between the two. So, I bought a great sounding stereo effects pedal that was designed from the ground up to drive two amps at once. It's the Supa-Trem2 from Fulltone, and it's one of the best additions to my rig in a long, long, time.

13. groove machine

groove machine Member

Do you find the preamp in the Supa Trem adds a little extra "mojo" or does it just work to keep both signals at the same strength?

14. mrt

mrt Member

Sweet. Just what I was looking for. Great ideas.

15. JonnyQ

JonnyQ Member

Me too. I know of nine better, to me they are the best.

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Three considerations when running two amps at the same time:

1. loss of signal strength when splitting the weak guitar signal
    2. ground loop hum between the two amps
    3. phase/polarity of the two amps

A good ABY box like Framptone, Lehle, Fulltone, and certain models from Radial have features which address these issues.

17. woof*

woof* Member

Roger Mayer Crossroads is what I've used for the last several years. It's totally quiet and works as advertised.

18. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Are you wanting to run both amps at the same time, all the time, or switch between the two amps with the option of running both at the same time? Because if you're wanting to run both amps at once all the time, then you GOT to go with a stereo pedal! Most will have active outputs, so there's no worry about signal loss or ground loops. Plus you get to experience all of the added depth and whatever else comes from the stereo effects pedal! To me, it's the reason to play in stereo!

I use a Flashback X4, a Corona Chorus, and a EHX Stereo Pulsar. The Stereo Pulsar is a bit noisy, but to me it's worth the noise for the crazy sounds it produces. The Flashback X4 and Corona Chorus are pretty quiet and don't screw up my tone, so if you're a tone nut, they would be a good choice. Of course, there are probably a thousand other stereo pedals that would work just as well, so take your pick!

If you want to switch between both amps and found your original ABY too noisy, then I'd look into a Radial Switchbone. Radial makes tons of great switching pedals and other gadgets for mixing and matching stuff.

19. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Seems like a good place to ask this.

4 cable method... pedals out front and in the loop. Using 2 amps. I can split the signal between the 2 amps from the pedals out the front using an ABY, but how can I get pedals in both amps effects loops? Is there a unit that can do this?

Or even better, is there a unit that will take the signal from my 4 pedals out the front, split it into the inputs of 2 seperate amps, then also allow pedals to be used in both amps loops? One unit on top of the amps?

20. tapehead

tapehead Member