Best Way To Run Helix Into Normal Guitar Cabinet ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by CA$H FLOW, Apr 24, 2016.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

I've got a normal 8 ohm guitar amp cabinet and was thinking of picking up a Helix. What would I need exactly to run the Helix into a normal cabinet ?
    I'm not interested in purchasing a FRFR cab as the Helix is fairly pricey, and I've already got a normal cabinet. I'm guessing some kind of solid state power amp, but what would you suggest ?
    Thanks in advance guys!

2. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Anyone know if solid state or tube effects loop will affect the sound of the modelled amps much?

3. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Check out the Matrix Amplification GT800 and GT1000. I use a GT1000 2U version to drive one or two guitar cabs. Super transparent and extremely high quality.

4. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Tube absolutely will. Whether that's good or not depends on your use case, your ears, and your modeler power amp options.

Solid state will vary but most are going to be close to flat and color very little. In most cases you would want your modeler to provide power amp modeling with a solid state amp. A Matrix GT is specifically designed for guitar and the response is tuned to that application.

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

Almost any power amp will work. The more budget you have, the better suited for guitar it can be. I have seen people successfully use Crown, Carvin, Carver, Rocktron, Samson, Peavey, etc. The Matrix stuff is very good, but pricey. Keep in mind that you need at least twice as much power as a typical tube guitar amp to reach the same SPL. I think Class AB sounds better than Class D, but some folks say they can't hear the difference, and Class D amps are MUCH lighter.

6. scook

scook Member

I would get a neutral solid state power amp, and use Helix's full amp modeling (preamp and power amp modeling) for maximum versatility.

Just be sure to turn off the cabinet modeling (IRs) in Helix. In effect a real cab is the only thing you're doing outside of Helix (just pretend your physical neutral solid-state power amp isn't even there).

7. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

How is this done? Turning off IR .

of course I could google it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I got a BadCat Unleash and just run the Helix into the effects return.

9. scook

scook Member

I'm not really sure which part needs an explanation?

10. randombastage

randombastage Member

The cabinet modeling in Helix is either in the ir block (if used) or the stock speaker cabinet block. Just delete or bypass whichever one you have in the preset or don't put one in if creating a preset.

There are three amp types in Helix, the "pre" model that has no power amp or speaker cabinet built in and the "amp" model that has pre and power amp but no speaker cab and a full amp model that has a speaker already selected and included.

If you are using your own power amp and your own speaker cabinet try either of the first two and don't use the third. If you are using a real tube power amp you might prefer the "pre" model otherwise you will likely prefer the 'amp head ' model.

Jim S likes this.
  11. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

That's sounds like the solid state loop is preferable for amp modellers.

12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I find it depends on the volume...up till the point where the power tubes start to compress and distort then I like it better then the solid state. It is so dependent on the volumes you are playing at...at low volumes to conversation level volume I honestly can't tell much of a difference, as it gets louder the tube section is easier on the ears. My goal is to keep my amp at a balanced level so I have good stage tone/feel and run a fully modeled feed to the PA for the rest of the room. Depending on your drummer/stage volume you can do that with either a tube or SS fairly easily.

13. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I have a Fryette PowerStation and it's a wonderful unit. It also works to re-amp an existing amp. You can use it to turn a Princeton Reverb into a 50 watt amp or tame a high watt 100 and also add an effects loop to amps without one.

Running it with the Helix sounds great and you have a very flexible system.

14. retroLS1

retroLS1 Member

I run my Helix into a Crown power amp into a Marshall 2x12. Works great.

15. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

i second the fryette power station with great fervor, my second choice would be a used matrix gt 800

did I mention the fryette PS fits in the front pouch of the helix backpck... ooooohhhhhhh

yep... very compact rig... guitar on one shoulder and helix/ps on the other... the cab waits for me at the gig ; )

16. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I don't have a Helix, but I've really liked the Carvin DCM200L with an AxeFX and AX8. It's cheap and sounds great.