Best way to sell a fairly valuable vintage amp?

texgrind

I have a vintage amp that I'd like to sell to raise some money for my daughters college. It's a mid-60s head that's pretty rare and probably worth a few thousand dollars.
Obviously eBay, or to a lesser extent Reverb, have the advantage of reaching the most potential buyers; but then I'd have to worry about shipping a 50+ year old amp and also a possible PayPal return claim long after the sale. Similar concerns using the Emporium. I do live in Nashville so could try selling it on consignment at one of the local shops (slight concern over the amp being damaged somehow, turned on without cab connected, etc) or seeing if they would purchase outright. Craigslist is pretty active here so that could be an option too. I'd also thought about seeing what the local Guitar Center would give me, but after reading many posts on others experiences that doesn't seem the best way to get the most out of it.
For those of you who have sold fairly high dollar vintage amplifiers what route would you recommend to maximize the sale price and minimize risks? Lastly, if it has some high dollar vintage power tubes in it, best to include or sell separately? Thank you.

dharmafool

Just my opinion: Sell via craigslist and carefully screen out the tire-kickers (and worse) on the phone. Include the old glass to help seal the deal. Supply good photos (including gut shots) and details on the amp's provenance. Cash and local pickup only. In Nashville, it shouldn't take too long to find a good buyer.

I've successfully sold high-value gear this way on craigslist in recent years.

Roccorobb

^^ yup. Also, you can post on 'big audience' sites (reverb, emporium) with a pickup-only clause. Nashville is pretty central and I know lots of folks like me are totally willing to make a day trip adventure for the right gear.

I'd steer clear of eBay though. Selling a pricey item would be expensive for you

LPVM

I agree too, Craigslist. You're in the perfect area to draw the right buyer.

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
Have you thought about selling it a guitar show? The annual show here in SC, although tiny compared to Nasheville, brings out all sorts of people who bring items and pitch them to the dealers. They don't have a booth, they just approach them there.

The Nashville CL musical instruments section is full of killer gear.

Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville has a superb selection of top end instruments and amps. I don't know what their consignment policy is but they do consignment, and looking over their website it is apparent that it is a classy place and your amp would be safer that it would be at Guitar Center.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
How valuable are we talking? $1000? $2000? $10,000? That would be a big part of the decision for me regarding shipping.

Jon C

Forget eBay or any Paypal transaction IMO, I am unwilling to be the guinea pig or "mark" for someone trying to scam using the 6-month return period with Paypal now. CL or consignment or Reverb or here & other relevant sites (local delivery only) would be my choice. And I'd find somewhere other than my house to have people check it out so they don't know where to find it if they're "casing the joint." Better safe than sorry (I don't do gear deals at my home).

texgrind

Thank you for all the replies. Some great advice and things to think about. Maybe Craigslist is worth a try since I could use my office to show it. Carters is also a good idea. Any suggestions on the best way to determine value? If it was a guitar I know someone like George Gruhen. Zenas, you're close. Trying to keep it non-specific so I don't appear to be using this post to help sell the amp outside of the emporium. Just looking for, and thankfully receiving, good suggestions.

Toowoombaus

I'm sure you could get some good ballpark figures here on TGP.
There are some pretty knowledgeable folks here so consider telling us about the amp, Model, year condition etc. maybe we could help you.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
The Reverb price guide is a good way to find the value of your amp.

Carters will give you a much better price than some other dealers in town. I have gotten 80% of market value when selling to them. They may or may not still do that for everyone. Gruhn does do amp appraisals for a cost and I wouldnt hesitate to purchase one from them if that is the route you choose.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. Would be hesitant to ship. I use CL and list in multi counties. At least for vintage stuff I don't see too many non serious buyers. No kids coming to "check it out". I find music stores to be a waste of time as the will offer you half if you're lucky and then give a song and dance on how there is no demand. Patience and CL seems to work best for me. And ditto to what Jon said.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Forget eBay or any Paypal transaction IMO, I am unwilling to be the guinea pig or "mark" for someone trying to scam using the 6-month return period with Paypal now. CL or consignment or Reverb or here & other relevant sites (local delivery only) would be my choice. And I'd find somewhere other than my house to have people check it out so they don't know where to find it if they're "casing the joint." Better safe than sorry (I don't do gear deals at my home).
great advice. I bring the stuff to work not only to be safe but to have witnesses that all was working and someone to take a plate number for me. Not being cynical but in today's world..........

BlueRiff

Just my opinion: Sell via craigslist and carefully screen out the tire-kickers (and worse) on the phone. Include the old glass to help seal the deal. Supply good photos (including gut shots) and details on the amp's provenance. Cash and local pickup only. In Nashville, it shouldn't take too long to find a good buyer.

I've successfully sold high-value gear this way on craigslist in recent years.
Great advice. For sure screen out tire kickers and dudes who want to jam and spin yarns for a few hours.

texgrind

Thanks. I'll try the Reverb price guide and maybe take it by Carters to see what they think. The amp is a 1965 Park 45 Top Mount. It's missing a white banana knob & the white plastic washer on an input jack and the power indicator light doesn't work. There's also a small crack in the plexi faceplate in a corner. A couple of the pots have a little static when turning. The tubes are GEC kt66. I'm away from home for a few days and this is the only pic I have. I will post some when I get back. Thank you again for the advice.
amps3.jpg.html

zenas

Wow an early Park ! You know how many of those I've seen in northern Minnesota ?
Exactly zero. lol

Craigslist would be the best way to go for a solid return with no shipping concerns. Just do everything you can to make sure the person coming to check out your gear (presumably at your house) is kosher. Actually, if you can get them to meet at a local rehearsal studio or something, that would be best. Whenever I sell something as small as pedals, I tend to meet people in public places. I've had nothing but good experiences on craigslist so far, but if any little thing should go wrong, I wouldn't like people knowing where I live and what I own.

And of course, be prepared for a torrent of low-ball offers. It's just how the game works. We've all been faced with it, and we all do it. Try to go as high as you can without being ridiculous, and bargainers may bring it down to its appropriate price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom