Best way to ship a guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MrSoGood, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

I've bought/sold/traded a lot of effects on the effects emporium, and I just sold my first guitar on the guitar emporium. For you guys that flip a lot of guitars, what is your preferred courier for guitar shipments? I'm doing all the packing myself, so just need advice on the shipper. Thanks!

2. snowblind56

snowblind56 Member

USPS Priority Mail is fast and usually the cheapest.
    UPS & Fedex are about the same(to me)

I prefer UPS because the tracking is much better than the other two.

3. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

If it is CONUS, I'd use USPS. Least expensive way to go and never had a problem. I've used both parcel post and priority. Parcel post is the lowest, but it travels slower and by ground only (i.e. might get knocked around more). Never had a problem with UPS or FedEx, but they're more expensive and I've heard getting a claim out of UPS is next to impossible. Btw, make sure you insure and have delivery notifcation with USPS.

4. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

I prefer UPS. Be sure to photograph everything with a time stamp. From the guitar in the case to stages of packing it into the box. Remember just because a guitar is in a factory case doesn't mean damage can't occur. If it's a high value axe, use a top quality road case and ship the regular case separately. Or have a UPS store package it all and then they're responsible for any damage.

5. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

hey man, let me know if i can help...just sent one out this morning actually...i usually use the Fedex on Oleander and have never had issues..but as far as packaging I can elaborate more if you want me to.

-i usually place a little bit of padding in the case behind/underneath headstock,
    and at the tip of the headstock I place some padding , and in cutaways if there are any
    -loosen strings slightly
    - wrap outside of case with bubble wrap nice and padded
    - pad bottom of box with bubblewrap
    - lower guitar slowly into box and pad sides at the same time
    - place some padding bubble wrap on top of case
    - tape up the box securely on all seams, cover any holes, etc

http://www.cbguitars.com/Packing.htm
    http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/how-to-pack-a-guitar-for-shipment.htm <--- good links although I typically add more padding

this is just a quick rundown...just give me a ring if you want some help with it...i have a few extra boxes at the house that may work depending on what guitar it is and I'd be happy to help you package it so you can see the process.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012