Best way to ship?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by starjag, Mar 25, 2008.

1. starjag

starjag Member

What is the best way to ship a 2-rack road ready case with one rack used for a bass amplifier head and the other rack empty? I am worried that the amplifier head will not be secure inside the case given that the other rack is empty. Thanks!

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I've done lots of good packing with just crumpled newspaper. Maybe wrap the first unit in plastic, just to keep the ink off but just stuff enough newspaper in there to keep the single unit from moving. Light weight yet quite secure if well crumpled.

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Just a thought, you could always ship the head seperately..but the road case would likely give more protection than your average cardboard box..

I agree with soldano16 crumpled newspapers -plus they're free!

4. starjag

starjag Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

5. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Crumpled newspaper? Maybe, if you make nice tight balls of it and are very methodical. It should work, but not used in the manner that most people think of when throwing some newspaper in there. That's a lot of weight and unless the balls of paper are firm they aren't going to do a thing, but give under the pressure.

I would definitely double box it. For the outer box, the newspapers should work well.

A lot of people when packing don't consider that if the box hits the ground the item inside is going to keep moving. I see this when a very stiff form of styro is used, like you would see when buying a new tv or something. That type of packing is good to use, but only when double boxed properly.

Keep in mind that for this type of shipment most couriers will require double boxing for any kind of insurance to be honored.

Please expect that the package will be treated horribly and package accordingly.

I used to work in shipping and receiving :)