Best way to simulate bass on guitar?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by blynn894, Feb 24, 2015.

1. blynn894

blynn894 Supporting Member

Variax? GK pickup? I know it's not gonna be perfect but is there anything remotely capable of simulating a bass from an electric guitar in a pinch?

The newer Boss GP-10 looks capable, anybody have any experience?
    Roland GR-55?

2. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Boss GP-10 is great in that regard. But really, so is the Digitech Whammy or Drop pedals. That said, I played bass in a couple bands over the years and it really is a very different instruments than guitar and for the best results you also have to try to imitate bass technique as well as wrap your head around how a bass player approaches songs (often more from a rhythmic than melodic perspective). Some techniques are sooooo much easier on a bass such as popping and slapping. Also, while playing steady chord root notes is the default approach, it's rarely the best sounding and not how a good bassist would approach things. That said, and the cost of the devices to transform a guitar to bass digitally, it might be better to simply buy a cheap bass.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I used my Kemper to turn my guitar into a bass for these:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  4. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

My 2c:

I get best results with a normal, pitch-tracking/octave pedal. The Whammy V is good, or the EHX Pog stuff. I feel the Pitchfactor is a bit pricey for what you get. It is nice to have control of the mix; Zoom, Boss, etc. offer that in their multi-fx. Slight OD makes it work for me.

The synth/bass modeling always sounds wonky to me. Roland VG series is cool but I hate playing live with a 13-pin cable. And I like the possibilities but ultimately I prefer the tone of my wound pickups over the digital instrument modeling.

If you're recording only, I've gotten good results by simply transposing a clean guitar track down an octave and EQing it more like a bass.

5. benagain

benagain Member

I bought the pitchfork for this..and it does it very well. Im thinking of adding a hex pu so the effect is only on the E and A strings.

6. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

For live, just playing roots on the one, line 6 has a decent octave in the m5 that's super cheap. For recording, there are lots of great ways. I like singing in or playing in a line on guitar, using melodyne (integrated into studio one, my DAW of choice) to convert that to midi, then using that midi to trigger one of a near infinite number of great sounding bass synths - you can get both realistic bass guitar sounds this way, along with some really awesome synthy bass sounds.

7. cronies

cronies Member

I use a pitchfork into a zoom ms-100bt running a sansamp model. I really like the polyphony of the pitchfork, which isn't something you usually get from a multifx based pitch shifter.

8. randombastage

randombastage Member

The GP-10 is really good but you need the GK pickup.

9. baseggio

baseggio Member

My Digitech GSP1101 has a great patch for doing this. In addition to a 100% wet octave down, it uses an amp/cab sim of theirs (Digitech Clean Tube, whatever that is), a noise gate, and some EQ. namely, boosting mids by 2 dB and highs by 7 db. I don't know that I'd use it live, but it does really capture the big string sounds of a bass, more than just a simple octave shift.

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I have tried just about everthing, and they all sound pitch shifted, unless you bury them in the mix. Better off getting a beater bass on CL

11. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Forgot I had a couple clips...

Bass (and everything else but drums) via the Boss GP-10

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/willchen28/the-redest-one[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Bass emulation (including some popping and slapping) using the Whammy around the 2:35 mark.