Best way to strip an 89 PRS Standard for Refin.???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarded, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Guitarded

Guitarded Member

Before you even get into it, she's a mutt. But a Damn fine playing Mutt!

Right now, she is sporting an abused 'Natural' PRS finish, a functional but ugly Re-Fret w/Monster Frets, Fralins, Mini Toggle (No Drilled out Sweet Switch Holes here!) 3-Way, Volume and Push/Pull tone where the 5-way was. Everything else is factory (tuners, bridge etc.).

I am thinking about a Seafoam Green Refin.

But first she needs to be stripped...How Would I go about stripping the original finish???

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I would seriously email this guy before doing anything you might regret: http://www.orkiespoil.com/

He is The Best PRS information you can recieve without actually having Paul's personal cell phone #.

Can you post a Pic of this beast ? I've never actually seen a Reliced PRS before. Its funny..........if this were a strat or a gibson a natural reliced finish would be worth alot. But with PRS its gotta be "pretty"..........

3. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Don't Do It!!!

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I would think twice before stripping, but if you must, I suggest sanding versus paint remover. 100'-120' grit should do the trick. If you don't have experience stripping, I would seek out a pro. You could sand too much, or deform some of the contours.

If you have experience sanding contours and stripping, give me a shout out and I'll give you some more detailed advice.

Larry

5. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

Hey I was also thinking about sanding down a 1989 Ibanez RG 550 but has a 570 body stock from the factory. I got it off the old guitar player from anamotion and now plays for Rod Stewart. It plays like buttah, but its black with a maple neck and just looks kinda just well you know blah.

Would a heat gun work? LOL we took one to our walls and it took the paint right off!!! Might be more trouble than its worth though in the end.

6. paintguy

A heat gun is not a good idea. First of all, the finish of the guitar is way more hard than wall paint. I'm sure it is a poly finish. 2nd, the intense heat of the heat gun could break all the glue joints.:jo 3rd, exposure to high heat is not good for a guitar or wood.

7. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

NOOOOOOOO

8. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

good to know guess its stays stock. Its a great shreading guitar!!! I can feel the pink spandex calling to me.

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Not that you're concerned w/resale value there, but a refin will gut the value of that guitar. I'd contact PRS to see if they'd be willing to do the refin for you. That would be the only real way to preserve the serial number and all that. They did a FANTASTIC job for me on a guitar (and it was VERY reasonable!), but it was close to 10 years ago. I'm not sure if they're entertaining that kind of work, but it's worth the call or email.

The 80s PRS guitars are holding their value well, even the players. I wouldn't mess with that one!

10. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

listen to Larry, or have him redo it! I knew there were some employees at PRS that did refinishing on the side at the factory but I don't know if they still let them do that. If anyone would know it would be orkie.

11. hansv

hansv Member

Post on the BAM forum, there are quite a few people over there who do refinish work. I am sure you will be getting some mails from people on here as well shortly.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Heat gun to soften, and scrapers to lift it off. Then go to sanding. Those catalized finishes are a beetch, but I've done 'em. You've got to know what you're doing or you could 'cook' the wood!

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Member

Calm down, guys...this is NOT a Standard that is worth trying to save.

Honestly, I think that a 'restored to original' axe is worth no more than a properly refin'd guitar.

Once you screw up the original configuration of a guitar it ceases being collectible (unless, of course, you are Jimmy Page, SRV, Jimi Hendrix or the like!). Period. I got this as a round out to a trade deal and it was buggered to begin with.

This being said, the axe is a MONSTER, and with the Fralins in there, she sounds better than ANY of the all mahogany axes I own...and I have quite a few!

I HAVE to drop a router into, a the least, the neck cavity to get the pickups to seat properly...damn proprietary routing!!! Probably have to do BOTH to get the proper range of adjustment.

Since I will be stripping the guitar of its electronice to do this, I figure it will be a good opportunity to put a nice new finish on her!

Custom guitar...1/4 the price! and who knows, once I get the finish off, I might try to put a better fret job on her as well!

14. hansv

hansv Member

Pictures? I kinda wanna see the beast?

15. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
  16. paintguy

17. USAgent

USAgent Member

I second the "Don't do it". I've had 2 guitars re-finished a took a bath on re-sale. I regretted it after a few years but it was too late, a refin is forever. My approach would be if I wanted something different, to just buy one like that and leave what I have alone.

18. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Okay...if you are going to refin (I'm saying no only because I like the beat up look) do something over the top! Flip flop, or Wackmaster or something.