Best way to "wrap" or "coil" pedalboard power cables...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TooManyHobbies, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I know that coiling power cables can create hum, and I've always tried to keep the 90 degree crosses with audio cable below my pp2...but as far as power.

1. Coil, bunch, etc?

2. Keep the bunch closer to the pedal or by the power supply.

Just curious as to what has the lowest noise/hum.

2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Nobody? This is a potential cause of noise, and I know that everyone doesn't just have perfectly trimmed wires in shielded channels...

3. tmuka

tmuka Member

I guess i've never had a problem with this kind of hum. I've heard of issues with running poorly shielded audio cables parallel to AC power cables connected to noise sources (Florescent Lights, etc)... Of course, i use a OneSpot, so all the power on my board is low voltage...

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

It doesn't matter with the DC that runs from your PP2 to the pedals.

5. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Interesting, but some of my experimenting makes it seem diffently. So looping shouldn't cause an issue? I usually try to keep the bunches "flat" so they don't form a circle at least.

6. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I typically don't have that much free space on my board, but if I have that much slack and that much room, I would typically coil the cables. My board also came with the cheap velcro where the adhesive comes off like nothing...so I typically take that velcro and use it to keep my cables down against the board so it doesn't move around. If you do go through that route of having to coil your cables, make sure you are wrapping them correctly (i.e. forward, reverse, forward, reverse, etc.). Prevents the wire inside from going bad and one of your patch cables shorting out. I absolutely hate it when that happens...have to spend hours figuring out which pedal/cable went bad.