Best ways to weigh a guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm selling a guitar and a prospective buyer asked me for its weight. I have a bathroom scale but it's not digital. What do you use to weigh a guitar when you want it to be accurate?

2. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

On a recommendation from another Gear Pager, I just got a digital Postal Scale on eBay from these guys:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjustpoundsandounces

If you are patient you can get one for 98 cents, plus their crazy $16.88 shipping charge. Well worth it for under $20 shipped. I compared several packages I weighed at home with what they weighed when I got to the Post Office and the weights were dead on. I got the 35 lb model.

If you need an accurate weight right now to close the sale, you could take the guitar to your local Post Office and weigh it.

3. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Digital fish scales. Cheap and plentiful. I got mine at Walmart for $17 and it is dead accurate.

4. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

Before I bought a Digital scale of ebay I just went up to the Post Office and used the self serve scale for Priority Shipping out in the front lobby.

5. davess23

davess23 Member

Take the guitar to a UPS or Fedex outlet. They'll usually let you use a scale, particularly if you tell them that you may be shipping the instrument with them.

6. SLG

SLG Member

+1 Exactly what I use. The Berkley model I have weighs up to 45lbs (so it's good for amps and cabinets as well). Accurate & repeatable.

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Another vote for fish scales, it's perfect.

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Post Office, or Fed ex, UPS pick up shipping center. Usually they are more than cooperative to help out.
    Best Regards!

9. Rich T Fingers

Rich T Fingers Member

..and if you cannot balance the guitar on the scales, weigh yourself holding the guitar, then weigh yourself without it ........ and then.....

10. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I'd be careful with the fish scales. I bought a Les Paul R8 that was perfect for me. At 9.1 lbs. it was right in the weight class that I like. However, I bought a cheap fish scale and it came in at 10.2 lbs. Although I still loved the guitar, it was bugging me in the back of my head that the dealer lied about the weight. I also kept thinking that I'd read that they heavier Les Pauls were generally disfavored. I couldn't stop thinking about it every time I played.

Finally, I took it to another dealer who specializes in Historics and compared it to others. Unfortunately, I ended up buying an R7 on plastic, but couldn't bear to trade in my R8 for some reason. As I was leaving, I asked the dealer to weigh my R8. It came in at 9.1 lbs.

I learned two lessons: (1) talking (and posting) about guitars too much can get in your head and affect your ability to enjoy a really great guitar based on other people's opinions; and (2) don't buy a cheap fish scale unless you want to shell out the big bucks that you don't have for another guitar.

11. hoochiecoochie

hoochiecoochie Member

I use a Berkley digital fish scale that that they advertise as being a 15 lb scale and accurate withing +/- 1/4 oz. The scale I purchased (Berkley) is accurate (so far) within 1 oz. Not bad!! I can usually estimate weight within 2-3 oz without a scale. As suggested, go to a UPS or FedEX store and let them weigh it if you do not have a scale.

PLEASE note, that most "stores'" scales weigh in lbs and tenths of a pound. So when they say 7 .1lbs. it is actually 7 lbs 3 oz..

The Berkely is about the size of a tuner. Get one IF you are concerned about the weight of a guitar. You will not go wrong. I always carry one with me when guitar shopping. The "sound" should be the determmining factor. I happpen to like light weight guitars at a max of 8 lbs for a Strat or a Strat copy. I shop until I find the one I like. Gibsons and the like (Lesters/335 etc.) are another topic. However, using a fish scale will help you out.

12. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

you can get a digital scale on ebay for < $20 shipped.

13. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

+1 for the digital postal scale

Tony

14. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I use a digital cooking scale.

[​IMG]

15. scot88

scot88 Member

subtract:confused:

16. schmit

schmit Member

I think that anyone who flips a lot of guitars....(which is most of us...its part of the disease)....should buy a digital postal scale....I picked one up for like $35/$40. It has a 35 lb limit....You can weigh the guitar for potential buyers and weigh the packed box for accurate shipping costs

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Before I got my own digital scale, I used to take a guitar down the post office and ask them to weigh it for me. Never a problem; after all, I pay their salary :)

I finally got a Pelouze Digital Postal scale that goes to 10 lbs; good for anything except 70's Les Pauls :rolleyes:. Btw, this is the one I see most often at dealers shops and guitar show booths.

/rick

18. xroads

xroads Member

Do you need to hold your breath in between?

19. diego

diego Member

I'm one block from a post office with a self-service digital scale. It's funny to see how confused people get when I pull a guitar out to weigh it.