Best Windows based workstation program - NOT Pro Tools...?????

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bjm007, Apr 2, 2005.

1. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Ok, relatively speaking mid to high-end home based project studio...

I'm gonna rule out Pro Tools because the cost of the package with all the bells and whistles is overpriced for the quality (IMO). And I'm a PC/Windows guy so anything MAC oriented is also out of the question. What program do you like? Here are some I'm considering...

1. Cubase
    2. Nuendo
    3. Digital Performer
    4. ???

ANy suggestions would be appreciated...

2. dehughes

dehughes Member

I'm in the process of scrounging up funds for Samplitude Professional 8.0....so there's my vote, I guess...

david

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

samplitude ROCKS!!!!! my copy of 24/96 is still my standard bearer. course, it is a bit buggy on XP.

but why not Sonar 4.0??? just cause its cakewalk doesnt mean its bad. quite intuitve, making the workflow pretty darn nice.

4. heinz

heinz Guest

I've been working in Samplitude 7.x for quite a while... for audio it's extremely good. Not a midi person's paradise however.

5. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Sonar 4

6. straticus

straticus Member

Another vote for Samp. I've been using it since V5 and I'm on V7.23 now ..........I'm getting ready to upgrade to V8.1.

Samplitude rocks hard for audio and the midi is getting better all the time ............ but I don't use midi so.........

I track, edit, mix, master and burn without ever leaving Samplitude. I guess you can tell I'm a huge fan!:eek:

7. dehughes

dehughes Member

Who are you going through for your upgrade? I'm looking into this myself...

david

8. straticus

straticus Member

I wish I could tell you but frankly, I haven't gotten that far yet.:eek:

I'll most likely post on the Samp forum to get a lead on where to buy. Isn't there a place called Xvision (or something like that) that is the main distributer for all things Samp?

BC :)

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I use both Cubase SX and Samplitude; but I am among the minority that prefer Cubase SX.

:D

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Digital Performer is Mac only.

Sorry!

Of the ones you listed, the one to get depends on your application for the software. There is no "best" program.

11. Gerry

Gerry Guest

I use Cubase SX3 also; I'm new at this, and with what these things cost, as well as the time and learning curve, I'm sticking with it!

If you have a very good interface, I think the tones and plug-ins on Cubase are fine.

"BE Forwarned" :eek: - there is a definite learning curve with at least Cubase and I suspect most of these programs! Reminds of calculus class, where no one really 'learned' it - it was either obvious - or (in my case) oblivious.

12. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

As mentioned, some software does certian things better.I own and use Sonar 3 (upgrading to 4) it is quite easy to use and intuitive.

Comparatively, Pro Tools makes some simple tasks very difficult.Anyway, that is based on my observations of a friend who used to use Sonar 3 and now runs Pro TOols on a Mac G4.

I do like Nuendo as well but I think Sonar has the nicest layout, is easy to track on and the mixing console view is so simple to set up.Patching effects, adding buses and such is really easy and powerful.

13. johnnymac

johnnymac Guest

I´ve used almost everything in the past couple of years in different studios, PT, PTLE, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic...

and I have to say you owe it to yourself to try out SawStudio.

The full version is expensive but the Lite and Basic versions are reasonable.

I´m using the basic version in my home studio and for location recording and I´m loving it.

check out the forum www.sawstudiouser.net/forums and the website. www.sawstudio.com

also some great video demos showing the software in action

14. Tim Z

Tim Z Member

Another Samplitude user here. I have used them all, and if audio recording/editing is your main focus, there just ain't anything better. And with 8.2 coming out soon, it just keeps getting better. There's a reason why so many high end studios are either using or switching to Samp/Sequoia. ;)

SawStudio is very good as well, but doesn't seem to have the profile and development that Samp is generating these days.

t

15. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

After using Cakewalk and then Emagic Logic Audio for years,
    I switched over to Cubase. I use it on my PC laptop and it is sweet. Cubase has excellent documentation and a really well written manual.

16. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

If I'm just after the best sound quality I can get. I don't need a lot of the editing functions. Would sawstudio basic or samplitude 8 Pro be better?

17. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

The users on the SAWStudio forum are zealots about the program's sound quality. It's an interesting contrast to other user forums that are filled mostly with complaints. In about six months of lurking, I can't recall a single major gripe -- and every tricky question gets a prompt response from the software developer himself. IMHO one shouldn't buy a Windows DAW without at least giving SAW a serious look-see.

- DB

18. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Thanks mm,

I'll give them a shout and see what their product is all about. Their website is certainly VERY well thought out and informative. If the product is anywhere hear as well done, it's a good 'un! :)

19. straticus

straticus Member

I don't have any experience with SAW but I highly recommend downloading the Samplitude demo. IMO, there's nothing better in terms of sound quallity and it has wonderful editing features. The object editer is worth the price of Samp alone ...... oh, then there's the RS reverb and the new Analog Suite, Elastic Audio, great sounding compressors, etc.

Give Samplitude a good look before you buy.

20. mrdylan

mrdylan Member

I'm a cubase man myself I have tried most of them now and allways end up back with Cubase.

:dude