Best Wire for Guitar? at Radio Shack?

Stratosfear

Silver Supporting Member
I might be doing some re-wiring tomorrow, but don't have any cable. Is there a suggested size wire? or one that my local Radio Shack might stock that would do a good job?

Thanks!

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I've never had good luck with Radio Shack wire - too big a gauge. Where in Western Mass are you?

CitizenCain

I've rewired many a guitar with 22ga stranded wire from Radio Shack. I think you can get 24ga there, too. If I'd have known what I was doing before I bought this wire, I'd have gone for the 24ga, but the 22 works just fine. Just be neat with the routing :D

Rat Shack 22ga wire.

wires.jpg

Pete Galati

I don't like Radio Shack wire. It'll work just fine, but you'd be better off ordering some cloth or teflon insulated wire from a good guitar parts supplier, and waiting for it to show up.

Stratosfear

Silver Supporting Member
that is ridiculously meticulous!

i'm impatient and have a rare day free, so i'll probably just roll with the rat shack stuff. what can i say......

thanks for the advice!

oh, and i'm in Amherst....

customstrat

When I wired up my strat I used regular wire from a wholesaler. I upped the gauge one size to ease the installation and routing. The Fender wire seemed cheap to me.

daddyo

I use vintage style cloth covered wiring. For a few dollars it gives me a bit of a cool factor. No difference electrically.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom