Best year for Rickenbacker 360/12s?

neu18

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard the 2009's (2010? - perhaps too early to tell) aren't built as well, is this true?

What's the best year for Rickenbacker 360/12s

What's the deal with the Trustrod?

I know nothing.

Thanks!

neu18

Silver Supporting Member
I thought I heard it on this forum, maybe it was another forum. I think someone said that they heard that...

what's the difference between the low and high output pickups. Which models have each?

Pretty prideful company. I'd be surprised if there were 'lemons' out there that they wouldn't have dealt with.

I've heard nothing but good things about them.

mbargav

what's the difference between the low and high output pickups. Which models have each?
Think REM vs. Byrds. I think all the new 360s come with the high-gain PUPs; that's what mine has. I think Ric used to offer swaps, but doesn't do it as a factory option anymore. My dad's 660/12 has a vintage toaster top, and it's a very different vibe. I prefer the modern PUPs; they just sound a lot more lively to my ear.

R13D

I've had my '67 360 12 since it was new.Here's the kicker,I've never adjusted the truss rods,there hasn't been any need to.In fact,the guitar has never seen a screwdriver.As far as a best year(decade),I prefer the 360's from the 60's.

pfflam

Rumor has it that the toasters are best with the 12-strings while the high-gain pups are good with 6-strings.

I also heard that the 21 fret 360s have better placement of the neck Pup - I know they sure look better than the 24 fret ones - I have a 360-6 in the mail - I can hardly wait!!

R13D

Rumor has it that the toasters are best with the 12-strings while the high-gain pups are good with 6-strings.

I also heard that the 21 fret 360s have better placement of the neck Pup - I know they sure look better than the 24 fret ones - I have a 360-6 in the mail - I can hardly wait!!
I have to agree with that.Congrats on your new 360,I bet you love it!

Stratobuc

"

I've heard the 2009's (2010? - perhaps too early to tell) aren't built as well, is this true?"

I don't believe it. They are built better than most American guitars (Gibson).

neu18

Silver Supporting Member
thanks guys! I think I would prefer the low output on a 360/12. Beatles had low-output right?

Thanks!

mbargav

thanks guys! I think I would prefer the low output on a 360/12. Beatles had low-output right?

Thanks!
360/12 wasn't the only Ric the Beatles played, but when they did play a 360/12, it would have been one with a low output toaster PUP. I think McGuinn is a better reference point for what a toaster PUP sounds like though.

are those reissue toaster pickups, because I hear they're not the same.
the reissue toasters are scatterwound to a certain spec. just like PAF clones, they may or may not match up exactly to whatever ideal people have of the 60s guitars. they sound good. play them.

audiodrome

That's been my experience also. I have a 2000 360/12 with the newer reissue 7.4k scatter-wound toasters and a 1991 360V64/6 with the early reissue 11k toasters. Originally I had 11k toasters on the 12-string also but it sounded too muddy and lifeless. I bought the 7.4k toasters for the 12-string but I first tried them in the V64 to see what they sounded like. On the 6-string they sounded a little too thin and wimpy but on the 12-string they sounded bright and jangly with nice definition. The 11k toasters on my 6-string still have that nice jangly chime but they are also beefy and aggressive.

I personally think Rickenbacker is one of the few guitar companies that never really had a bad spell. From my experience the guitars made in the '70s and '80s are just as good as the ones made in the '50s and '60s.

Cado

I have 7.4 scatter wound toasters in mine. Strung with Pyramid flat wounds & the tone is right on the money!

audiodrome

Is it possible to get something of this ideal?

http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/toasters.html
That article was written before they started producing the "vintage-correct" 7.4k scatter-wound toasters. I think that for the most part any year 360/12 with the original or current vintage-correct pickups will sound great. A 360/12 with post 1968 "hi-gain" pickups or early "hi-gain" toaster reissues will tend to sound more muddy, less defined, and less jangly.

Trending Topics