• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best YES after the mid-80s?

Grenville

I love the YES albums from the 1970s, CTTE, Relayer, GFTO, Yessongs, even TFTO has two transcendent sides to it in my book. And Drama has some spectacular moments.

Not so much a fan of Tormato, but would love to hear a thorough remix to warm things up.

Maybe it's just my ears, but it seems things have been very hard going for the band for the last 30 years. I've tried to love, or even just enjoy, the works, but it's difficult.

So... what is the good stuff, where is the juice, the killer tracks amongst the last ten releases?

I'll admit to liking this one a whole lot:

Dunzie

To be honest I am no longer a fan of Jon's voice but my highlights from their last 30 years are "Lift Me Up" off Union and "Walls" off Talk. Maybe because his voice isn't prominent in them. Big Generator and 90125 had moments for sure too obviously.

Bradmeister

I'm going to say just about anything on 90125. Changes is one of my favorites on that album. I know it's pretty sacrilege around here, but I grew up in the 80s. I also LOVE Trevor Rabin's solo stuff, too.

I was playing some of it with my kids around the other day. My son asks "who is this?" "Yes," I reply. "I SAID, who is this?" he asks again. "The band's name is YES." We had a good chuckle over that. He's about to turn 13 and really likes electronic music. His favorites? Well, Brian Eno's Ambient stuff is some of it. :)

paranoid70

The studio tracks on the Keys to Asecension albums (97-98) are really very good. That, That is, Be The one, Mindrive... really good stuff there.

The Ladder (1999) is also pretty decent album overall. Homeworld is by far the standout track.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
the entire 90125 album

"love will find a way", "rhythm of love", and "shoot high aim low" from big generator

this one is pretty great too

Fezziwig

To be honest I am no longer a fan of Jon's voice but my highlights from their last 30 years are "Lift Me Up" off Union and "Walls" off Talk. Maybe because his voice isn't prominent in them. Big Generator and 90125 had moments for sure too obviously.
I'm kind of curious about your comment. It's rare you hear someone say that they are "no longer a fan" of someone's voice unless that person's voice changed a lot!

I've always been a fan of this track from "Talk":

Last edited:

Dunzie

I'm kind of curious about your comment. It's rare you hear someone say that they are "no longer a fan" of someone's voice unless that person's voice changed a lot!
Yeah I guess that does sound somewhat funny. I think I always knew that I wasn't a huge fan of Jon's voice, but musically the band was so incredible I "tolerated" it, but over the years it's just bothered me more and more. Some of my favorite Yes songs were ones where Trevor Rabin, or someone else filled in more, or there was more prominent harmonies hiding it. And not surprisingly I enjoyed the Drama album...

Fezziwig

Yeah I guess that does sound somewhat funny. I think I always knew that I wasn't a huge fan of Jon's voice, but musically the band was so incredible I "tolerated" it, but over the years it's just bothered me more and more. Some of my favorite Yes songs were ones where Trevor Rabin, or someone else filled in more, or there was more prominent harmonies hiding it. And not surprisingly I enjoyed the Drama album...
I've always liked Anderson's voice, but I have soft spot for the "ethereal" sounding stuff so it works for me. That said, I can understand why it might not work for others.

Grenville

the entire 90125 album

"love will find a way", "rhythm of love", and "shoot high aim low" from big generator

this one is pretty great too

The More We Live - Let Go is the one strong song from UNION, I do like that one.

Love Will Find a Way is pretty good too, except for the "I eat at Chez Nous" line!

I'm not counting 90125 for this list, as it's perhaps the last acclaimed album they did. Or is it?

blueworm

I always thought Big Generator was a underrated album. It was ditched by lots of reviewers and the band as well (seems it was a PIA to have it done). But it has couple of solid catchy well crafted songs and few others more elaborate in the very prog vein (I can't understand why the regular Yes fan would loath "I'm running"). And it has GREAT guitar work.

Bluedawg

Big Generator and Open Your Eyes are my favorites after 1985 ...

Some of the other albums are darn good as well

I loved the extra extended stuff at the end of Open Your Eyes

Somewhere I've got an original CD with the extra stuff at the end of Open Your Eyes, but I can't find it

I bought another copy of OYE, but it doesn't have it.

:huh

Trending Topics