Beta Microphones

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bloozman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Could someone please explain the difference between an non-Beta, and a Beta mic?..For instance, Shure makes a SM-57 in non-Beta,and Beta. Why should I get the Beta?..What makes it better?
    This is for live sound use
    Thanks in advance, Bloozman

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Different beast..They aren't 'SM'...SM is a series, and Beta is a series. Beta's have a different capsule, tranny, and pattern. Beta 58 is super cardioid vs SM58's cardioid...What does that mean in the real world? Beta will be better at rejecting from the sides. The capsule itself and tranny are also different than the SM...extended frequency range. You'll notice an almost Condenser like quality while still maintaining the dynamic mic ruggedness in a Beta 58 compared to an SM58.

Great vocal mic for live.

In regards to the 57's, same deal.

Now when it comes to mic'ing up a guitar amp, the SM57 sits perfectly in the guitar range...You wouldn't need 'extended range' or accented top end that a Beta mic would bring...The guitar speaker already brings plenty.

3. drive-south

drive-south Member

The element in the Beta versions uses modern materials such as titanium, to provide a stronger/lighter capsule. A lighter capsule can respond to sound faster and more accurately than a heavier capsule.

With that said, I own 2 SM58s and 2 Beta 58s. I find the SM58 sounds sweeter and the Beta 58 sounds more harsh "to my ears". If I was starting over I'd save the extra $$ and buy all SM58s. This is for live use only. At home I use condensors for recording. I also own 2 SM57's and these have been workhorse mics for micing instruments/amps. We've used them for guitar/bass cabs, acoustics, horns, harps, etc.

I honestly believe it is impossible to own TOO many mics. No matter how many I buy I always want more.

drive-south

4. Griz

Griz Member

I continue to get surprisingly good recorded results on a range of different amplified and acoustic instruments with the BETA 57A. It does sound different than an SM57, for sure; but it's a great mic. You simply adjust your approach in positioning it.

5. never-enough

never-enough Member

alot of sound engineers i've dealt with prefer the sm58 over the beta 58, but never mention why, i think they are just more used to the sm58.
    i prefer the beta 57 on a snare drum, it gives it a little extra sizzle that saves me from adding eq. other than that, all i can say is get em both so you know what works well for you, i honestly dont think you could go wrong with either model.