1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Betamonkey Drum Loops?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RedLizard, Mar 14, 2005.

1. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Anybody that's tried or is currently using Betamonkey drum loops care to comment on them?

I'm looking for my first drum loop package and thinking something basic and inexpensive would be fine to get my ears wet and the price is right, so just thought I'd see if I'd be throwing good money away if I took the plunge on these.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Powerfibers

Powerfibers Member

I have not tried the Beatmonkey loops, but I have been using the Sonic Foundry Siggi Baldursson Drum Sugar collection, and I find it to be a great starter set up.

I set up the loops in Acid and then drop into Samplitude for tracking guitars over it. Drum Sugar has nice sounding loops categorized into useful groups. It also has single hits to add dynamics. In ACID, you need only drop them in with no editing needed (if that makes sense, unlike something like Burning Grooves, it is all ready to go. ).

Good luck,
    Bob M.

3. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Thanks for the input, Bob. I went ahead and ordered their four disc set and they arrived yesterday. They sound great, but I've now got info overload. There are easily 1000 different grooves, plus probably another 500 fills and then gobs of single hit files. I have no doubt I can find some useful stuff, will just take some time. My sense is you could put together an awesome track, as long as you're willing to look around and find the right beat and fills and piece them together.

I dropped a few into a new edit and looped them and they seem to work great. Just for grins I tried to drop a few over a something I'd recorded and it showed me just how much my timing varies with no metronome or click as a guide.

4. Powerfibers

Powerfibers Member

That sounds great. It is really a tough decision laying down money on your first sample set. I was glad to have heard the Drum Sugar ones before I spent the money. One of the things that has always kept me from doing more demoing at home was the poor quality drum machines I had owned (either poor sound or poor interface). I think that a loop based system is the best alternative I have found. I really enjoy using ACID to create loops. It has been invaluable in tracking demo stuff for the band's new project.

It is sometimes tough weeding through all the subtle changes between loops, so I usually use my POD XT and play along to the loops in GUITAR PORT in real time to see what I like.

I wish you the best of luck with your collections, I think you will be having some real fun.

Bob

5. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I'm a newbie, so ACID references mostly go right over my head, but I've got a sense of what you mean. I'm using Tracktion and all I had to do was hit import, click on a loop that it automatically played, select the loop I wanted and it dropped it right in. Then all I had to do was tell it to loop and a simple track was there. Takes about 5 seconds from the time you select the clip.

I can see how getting the just the right fill could be tricky, but it's been easier than I thought and the results are pretty good. I'll have to look into Drum Sugar. Thanks for the tip.

Scott

6. redmax61

redmax61 Member

Hey RedLizard, I've been using BetaMonkey loops for about a year and a half now. I think they're great! As a matter of fact, I'm looking into either another CD or some custom loops for a major project that I'm working on.

Highly recommended.

7. Powerfibers

Powerfibers Member

Hi Scott:
    ACID is a program you can use to lay out your backing track (among other things). It is available in a low powered form from Sony for free.
    I will find a loop I want, drag it into ACID for 16 bars, drag another loop in for a 4 bar chorus, and then go back to the verse beat, etc.... Then I "render" it to a wave file, and I drop the whole two or three minute track into my recording software. Add instruments over top.
    If you have a basic song structure in your head, I think it works great. You can pitch shift instrument loops and changhe tempo on drum loops. Pretty versatile. I suspect that your program is doing the same sort of thing.
    Need to get some of my tracks on the soundbyte page. Maybe later today.
    Take care,
    Bob

8. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I skipped the step of dropping it into ACID (because I didn't know) and went straight to dropping it into my recording software. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe there's a way in recording software to piece together a bunch of clips (small wav's in this case) into one clip, which would be roughly the equivalent of you bringing in a completed wave. I'll check out ACID and see if it helps or if my current approach gets me to the same place w/o the extra step.

Scott