Bets Pedals for Sabbath Paranoid sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goldstrat, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I love playing the old Sabbath stuff and I would like oppinions on the best pedals for it. I have a LP and Bumbox Plexi amp and Avatar 2x12 with Celestion G12 and V30 and use an Aramat Green Machine now. It is very close but something is missing Sustainer? Compresser?

2. e-flat

e-flat Member

Yes, Ge Treble booster for sure. Pick something up that has a Full Range mode if you can. That way you can use it with a variety of amps and get some tonal variation as well. You will hear Iommi speking to you in tongues. :D

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

BSM RM-Metal treble booster.Cloned from tony's original, absolutely NAILS that sound.I had one.

4. Bradders

Bradders Member

YEAH - the BSMs are great. There's a whole range of them offering different tones - but one of those would do it for sure.

cheers

5. VanStone

VanStone Member

I'm a big Iommi fan, but I have a real dislike for treble boosters. If you want an alternative, I would recommend a Catalinbread SCO with a Marshall(y) rig.

Grab a guitar with humbuckers (the pedal hates SCs), set the pedal gain to about 1 o'clock, contour to about 4 o'clock, and volume to taste. I frequently play Sabbath tunes with that setup and it works extremely well.

V

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I am using a BB preamp for that sound...........

7. VanStone

VanStone Member

I have a BB myself, but I find it too polite with my rig for the Sabbath thing.

V

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Buy a Laney amp!! :) Use high gain pickups ( 14-16 k) and what is bets pedals? -just kidding

9. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I've been using the Frantone Lo-Tone Classic Fuzz, Frantone Sweet Pedal or HomeBrew Germacide in front of various Overdriven Tube Amps and have had really good luck nailing those tones. Amps have been either 1971 100watt HiWatt, Snider Chicago Model, 1969 50watt Marshall Plexi, 1965 Plexi JTM45 or 1962 Vox AC-30.

10. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Old Orange or Laney
    Treble booster
    SG
    Turn up everything really loud...
    Oh...and cut off the ends of the 2 middle fingers on your fretting hand and make little plastic thimbles with leather patches attached to the ends.

Seriously...I always thought Paranoid was a little different. Like maybe a little muffled or something. I mean...compare it to Iron Man, Electric Funeral or FWB's on the same album.

Maybe it's just me.

BTW...Tony Iommi plays the riff in the 12th fret. I always played it at the E on the 9th.

Anyway...Tony Iommi is just a monster guitar player still. I love his solo CD from a few years ago. Haven't checked out the latest with Glenn Hughes.

jeffhef

11. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I agree, Tony I. is a great player. The new CD is cool, I actually like it more than the last one. Glenn Hughes is a great singer and bass player and jells well with Tony. The songs are heavy and a little funkier than Tony I is known for. I would also recommend Glenn's latest CD Soul Mover, it is great!

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Hellbilly does a great job on that sound and more besides.

13. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Hellbilly was great for that sound... The Keeley Java Boost, while twice as expensive, was even better...

Both do an excellent Germanium full-range boost sound, which is key... Regular treble-boost setting on either pedal does not get me to the land of Paranoia.

14. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I meant the Album Paranoid Jeff. My favorite is War Pigs but I love that whole album.

15. moderndrummer

moderndrummer Member

just a vintage boost and your there