Better clean sound: Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb? (Reissues)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by auffredou, Feb 2, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Ive gone through a pretty big hassle trying to get a perfect working new DRRI from guitar center. I bought it in december, it sounded great, and then stated making some weird noises. They ordered me another one that got dropped in shipping and had a few things broken, so they were working on ordering me a THIRD one. After finding a used one at another store here for a much better price, I went in and got my money back from guitar center.

So anyway, the store I will be going into has both a used DRRI and TRRI. The twin obviously costs a little more, but still less than the new DRRI I had, so Id still be gaining money. So Im just curious, how would you compare the CLEAN sound of both amps. Im not talking about breakup on the DRRI, or the fact that the twin is huge and loud. Just straight up clean tone compared to each other.

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I would step out on a limb and say they are similar at low, low volumes, but they are really two entirely different amps. You have to figure out what power you need and is a smooth compressed breakup of a Deluxe reverb is more important to you than a heavy amp with tons of headroom and harder to breakup.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

well in the long run i think the DRRI again is the better choice. the twins are just too heavy, and I can actually practice in my dorm with the DRRI without making neighbors mad. Im just thinking about that occasional house party or something I might play where Im going to have to crank my amp to keep up with a drummer in a small room crowded with people. Im guessing thats a rarer situation though, and 9/10 times Im going to wish I had the Deluxe.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

i will also say that I NEVER use the DRRI for breakup, and I know a few other people who do this too. I use pedals and mic it at gigs.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The TRRI sounds good at low volumes too. Jsut a very clean good. I tried both and bought the DRRI becuase it is a little more complex at medium volumes. It was also cheaper and lighter. Twins get a bad rap because people crank them for that early sanatana tone and then say they are loud.

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

The TRRI has better straight up cleans (IMO) and more clean headroom.

But since the store you are going to has both...play them both to make the best decision for you.

7. 67super

67super Supporting Member

For what your describing the DR is the way to go. I gig in small, packed clubes and my 68 DR keeps up just fine. My bigger Fenders are to much.

You mentioned never using the DR for breakup. I don't know about the DRRI but the real ones break up so nice, it's worth trying.[​IMG]

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Go with the smaller amp....If I was looking for a Deluxe reverb, I'd DEFINETELY get an Allen amp..[forget the Fender crap..epiecally if you want play out reliability]..I think Mr. Allen's taken the Blackface Fender amp topology to a higher level...