Better for bloodcurling rock tone Germino Lead 55 or Classic 45 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I mailed greg but he aint got back to me yet, if i wished to use my R9 into a Germino with a drive like barber direct drive or a good booster, which of the 2 ive listed gets closer to bloodcurling sustained notes and heavy riffing that I just dig soooooo much ?

cheers guys

Jimmy

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Lead 55 for sure. The Classic 45 is going to be cleaner and more mellow, like a JTM 45. The Lead 55 will get you into Plexi land, and the pedal will put you in hot rod mode. You will be playing LOUD!

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Definitely the Lead 55. Greg told me it has the most gain, and my Lead 55 gets very crunchy and aggresive sounding with a Les Paul historic (I have a 57 with Burstbuckers). IMO the Lead 55 is as good as it gets for classic Marshall rock tones.

4. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

Jimmy, why do you want to go deaf? Seriously, I'm concerned for the well being of your ears, because you WILL LOSE SOME HEARING.

Lead 55 though, the first poster nailed it.

5. fjs1962

I'll agree with that. Especially if you run it through a 412 cab or a 212 with very efficient speakers like V30s or H30s. I use the 212 closed back cab with Greenbacks though and the lower efficiency speakers tame the Lead 55's volume well. I've been able to crank the amp at gigs and only a couple of times I've had to use my Z Airbrake cut back one or two clicks at the begining of the night. Now I tried H30s in the same cab and they sounded 4X as loud, and were more than I could manage in a club, so I went back to the Greens.

Actually it's probably a good idea to wear hearing protection at any rock gig.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Im just lookin round for a 2nd amp to use with my Hellcat which is my undisputed #1

I love the sykes fatness of tone from 1987 whitesnake but i am not at all interested in Mesa amps , with the right drive stomp, could the Lead 55 get that fat and sustainy ?

Im hoping to try a peavey 6505 too.

what do you think ?

anybody know where you can hear germino`s really tearing it up , ive already viewed steelbenders clips and they aint my bag.

jimmy

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I prefer it when I can get the audience's blood to curdle.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Jimmy,

I thought you were diggin' the SLO at one point? Why don't you pick up a used SLO. You can get all the harmonically rich gain without a pedal!

B

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Im really not fond of attenuation and the SLO is just far too loud for what Id need it for, a guy who played a SLO at 6 on the master told me he thought his eardrums had popped.......now that is scary indeed.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

The SLO has a great master. You can play it on 3, and it sounds glorious!

11. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

What do you think happens with a 50 watt Marshall on 6-7?

Trust me, this is TOO LOUD!!! Heed my warning Jimmy, don't lose some of your hearing its just not worth it.

My ears shiver with the thought of a 50 watt Marshall close by again. I know I lost some frequencies when I had it, and I pay for it now.

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

hahha!! Yeah, if I want my blood curdled, all I have to do is manage to sit through the advertising cycle on NBC (hell...any US network) at 8:55 to 9:05PM on a Thursdays. No wait...that's if I want my stomach turned...well...whatever...

13. DamianP

DamianP Member

Jimmy,
    This is probably not very helpfull but if you want a spare amp that does everything a Helcat does why not buy another?

,Damian.

14. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I hear ya bro , only snag is , have you checked Cornford prices :eek: to snag another Hellcat in the UK would be £1699.00 , the price in the USA is even worse so importing one is outta the question.

A germino 2nd hand could be imported to the UK , buy a stepdown transformer and still be quids in when it comes to the cost. Same goes for a THD flexi , it would be cheaper to import and use a step down tranny. The flexi`s in the UK are rare and 2nd hand Hellcats even rarer. You see the odd Cornford MK50 head, but they fetch a very very high resale.They are £1400 new and ive seen em go 2nd hand at the £1100 mark , there is a 2nd hand flexi in Cheshire (sounds great music) at £1100 and they are £1499 new, I suppose you get what you pay for ....eh :)
    cheers

jimmy

15. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

do any of you have a speaker recomendation for the germino lead 55? i have the amp coming in about a week and i'm not to fond of my orange 2x12 with v30's. it's good but i want another tone also. i was thinking maybe the new heritage 30 watt speakers in either a 2x12 or 4x12, any opinions?

16. fjs1962

So far I've tried H30s, V30s and Governors with my Lead 55 but my favorites have been reissue greenbacks. I want to try the new Heritage Celestions at some point.

17. centaur

centaur Member

What's the difference in tone between the Lead 55 and the Lead 55 LV ? I have see the rectification difference but what's the influence on the sound ?

18. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

Jimmy, I agree with Blueser. The tone you are after, you will easily get from the SLO and anything above three starts the valves working. It has a good master volume and I use it in a 5 piece miked up with a medium power drummer, no problems. Also, if you are going to import you can get good deals from the USA.

19. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Greenbacks are hands down the best speaker to use with a Germino amp. I've owned more than one germino and this speaker definitely mates best with them. If you need to hear a song with a Lead 55 rock'n out 80s rock/metal style with nothing more than a Lead 55 and a distortion pedal in front of it, email me and I'll email you an mp3 of the song. Putting the right distortion pedal in front of a Lead 55 can definitely get you into the JMP/JCM800 range (with the right pedal of course).

20. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I own a bunch of Germino's and I would highly recommend the Lead 55.

As to the best speaker pairing, I would go with the G12H30 or the new Heritage G12H30, although I don't own the later yet

My 2 cents