Better Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by noctilux1, Mar 12, 2006.

1. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I've got an Analogman Sunface which is OK. Doesn't seem to like the wah in front of it.....I think I can do better.
    I've been looking at D*A*M* pedals. I like the descriptions of the MKII and 66. I'm going for that early Cream tone/Yardbirds. I play a plexi 50 watter through an old 4x12 slant.
    Will the D*A*M* pedals get me there??? Does it make a difference with the OC81 or 82 chips?
    Thank's for the help.

2. Curt

Curt Member

3. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Curt, that mod looks nice but I don't think I want to make changes to my mid-60's, Gig Jordan Wah.
    I am still looking for a better FUZZ
    Thank you
    If I get another wah down the road, I like the sound of the Fulltone Clyde

4. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

My main question is, getting a better fuzz to replace the Analog Man Sunface.

5. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

If you don't like your fuzz sound, that's one thing but if your looking to use them (wah and fuzz) in conjuction with each other, a buffer is a must. Don't spend any extra money on OC81d's either. It's hype. They don't sound any better than other/cheaper germs. Better yet, make your own fuzz and tune to your hearts content. :AOK

6. pboudreau

pboudreau Member

I also have fallen under the spell of the D*A*M 1966 and MKII vibe. I have a 66 on order from Axe and You Shall Receive. Musictoyz emailed me and said they don't know whats going on over at D*A*M when I enquired about the MKII. There are no more OC81 chips. People claim they hear the difference between the 82 an 81. I'm looking for the MKII OC81 as well, based just on the raves.

7. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

pboudreau, why would you get a 66 and MKII?? Why would you need both.

8. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The 66 and the MKII are two entirely different fuzz pedals. 66 is a Vox Tonebender with a 2 transistor circuit. Buzzy and raspy, like a bee in a tin can. MKII has a 3 transistor circuit, higher gain, more sustain, and a thick, soupy fuzz tone. Clapton's early Cream tone is a Les Paul into a JTM45 with KT66s. Whether or not he used a fuzz on subsequent albums is debatable... Want Yardbirds tone? Which era? Beck used either a Vox Tonebender or a Gary Hurst MKI Tonebender very early on, but switched to a MKII for Roger The Engineer I believe. Page, on the other hand, used a MKII and sometimes a Roger Mayer Fuzz. Little Games has MKII all over it, with the Roger Mayer on a song or two. As far as Ge transistors, there are subtle differences, but using high quality transistors with low leakage and proper tuning, can make for a great fuzz. OC81ds, while "The Holy Grail" for the MKII, wasn't actually the most commonly found transistor in the MKII. I believe many of the 1st run came equipped with OC75s. Later, it was a crap shoot, with whatever was lying around got thrown in. Ask Page or Beck what type of transistors were in theirs, they'd probably give you a weird look and a laugh before walking away. Even though Page's, allegedelly has OC81Ds. I have a D*A*M with OC81Ds, and while it's F*#king amazing, it won't replace my '69 Supa Fuzz with OC71s.:D:NUTS
    BTW, I believe you can have a buffer installed in a fuzz, rather than in the wah to make them cooperate. I'm pretty sure David Main @ D*A*M has done this before. Sheesh, can't believe I managed to run at the mouth like that, too much wine...

9. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

People claim they've seen the Loch Ness Monster too. I'm telling you, don't search the ends of the earth or wait for months for these things. I bought a bunch of OC81d's a long time ago when I didn't know any better (for a hefty price too). They were way too leaky to use in my pedals so I sold them on ebay. A well known pedal maker (not D*A*M) bought them and is now using them in his pedals for an "up charge". Paying more for leaky trannies, you make the call. You can take any one of the low gain OC??? type devices with the same gain and leak spec and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I've built a number of fuzz pedals and have swaped trannies on the fly and can barley tell the difference between them. Any difference is most like due to gain/leakage and biasing of the circuit. With 3 gain stages (in a MKII) creating walls of fuzzy noise the $.50(ea) devices sound just as good as the $10.00(ea) ones.

10. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

I agree with wahfreak. The difference OC81's and some other suitable germanium transistor is a non issue. The main criteria that must be met for the germanium transistors is correct gain range, low noise and low leakage. There are several suitable germanium transistor types that will all make an amazing Tone Bender MKII. My experience with old Philips and Mullard OC transistors is the same as wahfreak's. They tend to be very leaky and noisy. More so than other suitable transistors.

The other thing is the MKII will have the same problem as your Sun Face with a wah. You need to buffer the wah.

You should be able to get Cream tones from your Sun Face. The MKII will not do any better at Cream tones. Try rolling back the guitar volume a bit for Cream tones.

As far as Yardbirds go, yes the MKII is the way to go.

Go here for some clips my MKII. They are a bit more Led Zep/Page as I have added some modifications that I think may have been on his Tone Bender MKII. But you can get an idea of some of the range of tones you can get from the MKII circuit.

www.throbak.com

11. jero

jero Member

Have a look at the BJF Pink Purple. It's a great fuzz and it doesn't mind being placed after a wah or non-tb pedals.

12. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

The Demeter Fuzzulator does great Clapton/Cream to Duane Allman to Joe Walsh tones. Very versatile pedal using a combination of silicone and germanium diodes in the "loose" mode and LED's to generate distortion in the "tight" mode. Huge range of great tones in this little box.
    FWIW,
    Rick

13. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

AbbeSauniere, I have read much of the printed material on the early Cream recordings and the Clapton/Bluesbreakers recordings and am aware Clapton did not use any fuzz boxes. Clapton just cranked his amps, and rolled off the tone to get his desired tone. But I am not in a position to max out the volume on my amps to get that "Tone". That's why I am looking at the D*A*M* pedals to try and achieve that "Tone" with my amp settings at lower volumes.
    Thank's to everyone who responded to try and help me achieve my tone.