Better get Russian Baltic birch cabs while u still can!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
This is not a challenge to what you posted, but I had to chuckle at the marketing of 'Canadian' Baltic Birch. Or maybe I need to study my world map a little more closely.
I corrected my post, thanks for pointing out the error.

Chocol8

How old are your political maps?
Not currently was meant to mean "no longer" referencing the comment about plywood coming from Finland in the past, as well as implying that with Putin's aggressions the Soviet Union or a facsimile may return in the future. Apparently that went over a lot of heads and I could have been more clear.

Steve Y.

Supporting Member
Haha sorry for the typo
Yeah it’s not a Baltic country :)
I guess and I need to check with my cab builder, Canadian birch ?

Ha! Here I was thinking that the lumber industry was actually pushing a product called 'Canadian Baltic Birch' : )

jkr

Silver Supporting Member
Would someone please share the differences and benefits (physically and sonically) between Russian Baltic Birch and general Baltic Birch? Thanks!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Would someone please share the differences and benefits (physically and sonically) between Russian Baltic Birch and general Baltic Birch? Thanks!
There are some nice articles that talk about Baltic birch and Russian, check Google, will see if I can find them too…

Reactions: jkr

Chocol8

The difference is between what is marketed as "Baltic birch" and the big box store "birch plywood" which is cheaper. I have never seen Baltic birch specifically marketed as Russian although that is where much (but not all) of it has been coming from.

Baltic birch is a void free plywood made with even layers of birch. Birch plywood can have voids and is made with a thin veneer of birch over thicker layers of wood and fillers that may or may not be birch.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Self-explanatory. I work in the wood industry and there is a shortage of Russian Baltic birch plywood. Or they can't get it at a price that is profitable anymore.
This is bound to affect higher end amp/cab makers and they will have to go to something cheaper.
And we know the drill, once they see they can sell cabs made from cheaper materials at the same price as more expensive materials, they won't go back to the Russian Baltic birch.
The superiority of this wood is a proven fact. As shown by boat makers and furniture builders and many other industries that use it for certain designs because nothing else will hold up.

How about Finnish Birch & / or Italian Poplar?

Either way I have heaps of great older Bogner Cabs & an older Bad Cat Cab.............I'm a happy camper.

Headshells are not critical though...........use Poplar Ply, Paulownia or Pine.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone made Paulownia Ply going forward.

:beer

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
How about Finnish Birch & / or Italian Poplar?

Either way I have heaps of great older Bogner Cabs & an older Bad Cat Cab.............I'm a happy camper.

Headshells are not critical though...........use Poplar Ply, Paulownia or Pine.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone made Paulownia Ply going forward.

The baffle is not critical too, correct?

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
The baffle is not critical too, correct?

I'd love to play mind games with you D & say yes it is, but I really think that the critical aspect is to use a Solid Core / Void Free Birch Ply & if it's similar Density then I can't see any issues.

There is good Ply & there is not so good Ply.............horses for courses.

It wouldn't phase me, let's put it that way.

hillbillypolack

Silver Supporting Member
The difference is between what is marketed as "Baltic birch" and the big box store "birch plywood" which is cheaper. I have never seen Baltic birch specifically marketed as Russian although that is where much (but not all) of it has been coming from.

Baltic birch is a void free plywood made with even layers of birch. Birch plywood can have voids and is made with a thin veneer of birch over thicker layers of wood and fillers that may or may not be birch.
So is it not possible to replicate the plywood in other regions?

And, if the wood itself is changed, would the cab dimensions need to be adjusted for resonance etc?

I guess my initial take is that things can be worked around, though the technique and origin of the wood material may change.

I've seen some nice Mesa Boogie cabinets made from Tasmanian Blackwood which is a native Acacia species. Here we produce plywood from Tas Oak, which is sourced from 3 native species of Eucalyptus, Radiata Pine which is a US species and actually an environmental weed here and there would be others which incorporate veneers from other native species. There are some major US guitar builders that utilise our native timbers for their instruments as well.

Ben S.

It’s only tonally important to hifi speaker builders because the voids can cause resonance problems. And like a lot of things in the guitar world, the traditions of hifi were absorbed into the guitar world because the original amp manufacturers catered to the P.A. systems market even more than guitar. Those traditions just became talking points over the decades.

the advantage to guitar amps is they are stronger compared to thicker mass produced
plywoods or MDF.

amphog

Right now, all plywood from anywhere is in short supply, and prices are nearly double. Baltic birch plywood is a trade name for a plywood made from plys that are all the same thickness. I have had it come from Eastern Europe, and from China.I would avoid the stuff from China, I had a piece de-laminate when I was cutting it on a table saw. The piece kicked back underneath it self, and almost got me. The de-lamination would be a major concern in speaker cabinets, panels can buzz, and are not structurally sound. There is a product called Apple Ply, that does not have as many plys as Baltic, but is very sound, and domestic.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Right now, all plywood from anywhere is in short supply, and prices are nearly double. Baltic birch plywood is a trade name for a plywood made from plys that are all the same thickness. I have had it come from Eastern Europe, and from China.I would avoid the stuff from China, I had a piece de-laminate when I was cutting it on a table saw. The piece kicked back underneath it self, and almost got me. The de-lamination would be a major concern in speaker cabinets, panels can buzz, and are not structurally sound. There is a product called Apple Ply, that does not have as many plys as Baltic, but is very sound, and domestic.
My cab builder is getting it from Canada. Didn’t know about the trade name, my builder used the same name too. He convinced me that since I am building a pine cab and instead of using Russian Baltic birch which is in short supply for the baffle, he will use Canadian and won’t impact tone.
I think he called it Canadian Baltic Birch, I could be wrong.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom