Better handle for a Mesa Mark III combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GottaPracticeMore, May 7, 2015.

1. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

Mesa Boogie amps weigh a ton, and they are difficult to carry. In my opinion, the top-mounted handle, which is small and narrow, makes the situation even worse.

Have any of you guys modded the handle in any way to make the amp easier to carry? I'd be interested in ideas. (And yes, I generally use a cart, but every now and then it's really necessary to lift the amp).

[​IMG]

2. jujube

jujube Member

You need two people (feels surprisingly light) and/or a dolly to move a Boogie. :roll

3. wharris

wharris Member

I have a Mark III combo and I swear it creates it's own gravitational field...

forgivenman likes this.
  4. reade

reade Member

A dolly board makes all the difference.

5. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Well, anything that has mass exerts a gravitational force on any other object that has mass. It is related to the mass and the square of the distance between objects.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Optimum handle placement on an amp, or speaker cabinet, depends on if you're planning on it being carried by one or two people. In either case, the optimum carrying position is with the arms straight, no bend at the elbows) and not interfering with the forward motion of the legs.

If you have one handle, you want it on the top, where the Mk III already has it, and you'd carry it to one side of your body, against the hips. If the amp is too heavy, this is cumbersome and quickly uncomfortable.

If the amp's too heavy for a one handed carry, you can go with two handles. For a single person carry, you want the handles down low on the sides, so that you can carry the amp in front of you, with your arms locked, against your chest, and above the leg line, so your legs don't keep bumping against the amp. In this configuration, with the handles on the side, they'll need to be either ATA style pull out ones, or Marshall cabinet styled inset ones, or you'll rip up your knuckles when you lift. You can't retrofit these without cutting the cabinet. Handles on the sides towards the top are a bad idea since they require that you either bend your elbows, which makes your arms work too hard, or that your upper thighs bump against the load with every step.

For a two person carry, you can put two handles on the top AC30 style, running front to back (as opposed to the Fender left-to-right arrangement), or on the left and right vertical sides.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Lift it up to chest height and carry it bearhug style...arms around the cabinet, kind of. Just use the handle to get it moving. It's much easier.

I have a Mark 2B, and it's brutally heavy. But this is the way to carry heavier amps, IMO.

8. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Not going to be of much help here..... But, a few years ago a friend of mine picked up a leather "amp handle cover" at a music store or something? It was just that, a piece of soft leather (like baseball glove leather) with a thin foam-rubber liner.....You wrapped it around the handle then used the leather stitching to sew it closed. I used it on an amp with that exact same handle and it helped out A LOT! The handle didn't dig into my hand and I swear it took about 20 pounds off the amp.... I'm going to look on Amazon now to see if I can find similar product?

9. Lance

Lance Member

This is what I do. The closer you keep a heavy object to the center of your body, the easier it will be to carry.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Roadie?

I keed.

They are heavy. I switched mine to a head and separate speaker cab. Now I make two medium weight trips vs. one heavy one.