Better investment: menatone KOB or Marshall class5?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JinX78, Feb 25, 2012.

1. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Lookin to have a Marshall-esque sound to mess with, but not ready to buy another high powered amp.

I have a mesa dual caliber 10 combo so...

What would sound better at louder home volumes, Marshall class 5 or just invest in a menatone king of britains??

I have yet to find the KOB at any local shop so all I have to depend on are u-tube vids.

Whats your take ?

2. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Anybody out there?

3. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

The KOB sounds great through my non Marshall style amps. The class 5 is also a great little amp. It totally depends on your needs. For in home playing maybe the class 5 is your better option. P,aging live maybe the pedal is your best option. If you're looking for the high gain Marshall in a box sound perhaps you should be looking at a box of rock or a dirty little secret pedal. Hope that helps.

4. blackie59

blackie59 Member

My two cents. After ruining my hearing with a 1970's 50 watt marshall, my Class 5 is a nice little practice amp for my bedroom. Either turned down or with the low watt settings, it does a very good job of letting my Les Paul sound great.

5. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Thanks for the replies. It seems that people really dig the C5 so I might give that a shot. I didn't know if maybe a pedal in a box such as those offered by menatone might sound better at lower volumes then a class 5. (workingmans blue or king of Brit). The tones I hear in my head are back in black ish tones. Doesn't have to nail it but close to would be nice.