Better sound for Video Camera

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by eyeteeth, Jan 22, 2008.

1. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

Your typical Home video camera... nothing fancy. Usual problem trying to record gigs... loud... camera mics/compressor are overloaded and it all sounds like complete poop. I don't have the ability to plug in external mics or signal...

Has anyone had success getting better sound out of the family camcorder? Covering the built in mics... with something? or something?

not really sure where a good place to ask this would be. :eek:

2. Grun

Grun Member

My camera has an 1/8" mic 'in' jack. Whenever I record a musical event I plug in a remote stereo mic and set it up on a seperate stand. Just about anything will sound better than the camera mic, plus it gets the mic away from the cameral noise. If you don't have a mic input, I don't know of too many other options save using a digital field recorder and lining up the sound tracks later.

3. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Get a Zoom H2 recorder, then use the computer to sync the zoom audio with the camera vids.

Or, if you have a laptop, run the cam and the H2 into the puter and record both at the same time.

Recording the audio seperately will give you option of using several cams and not having different levels/doppler effect on the finished video.

4. Scotty J

Scotty J Member

Yes, you absolutely want to record the audio separately, the more you can isolate each individual instrument, the more control you will have over the final product.

As far as doing away with the audio from the camera, there are any number of freeware programs out there that will demux the audio and video into separate files. Then you just need to sync the externally recorded audio with the video. Like SeeMoore said, you can even use multiple cameras, you'll just need some experience working with video to crop and merge the different clips into one final video.

5. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

Thanks everyone... I finally bit the bullet, and bought an H2. Cool little device. I just got it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to use it with the group yet.

Can't wait to mess with it. Didn't want to add an extra step to getting decent video... but... so be it I guess.