Better sound; short cheapo cable or longer better quality cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Motherfuzzer, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

Just wondering where I'm better off.
    Any opinions?

2. Structo

Structo Member

Cords can affect your tone.

If the cable has a high pf per foot (capacitance) it can take some top end off of the tone.
    If you have a very bright guitar and amplifier, this can be a good thing.

However if your tone is already on the dark side a high pf/ft cable may turn it into mud.

But if the amp is bright a higher pf/ft could tame that high end and improve your tone.
    If your amp has a bright switch, does your guitar sound better with the bright switch on?
    That might tell you something about your current cord.
    Of course tone is very subjective so don't take just one opinion on the matter.

If you are handy with soldering and tools, you can make your own cable.
    Check out www.Redco.com

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Keep your cables as short as possible.

4. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

but am I going to get better sound through a 4 foot Hosa cable, or a 15 foot Mogami cable?

5. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Add up the total capacitance of each cable and you should be able to answer that on your own, depending on whether you want more or less capacitance. Not everyone wants less.

6. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

15 foot mogami easily better , those are great cables 15 ft is nothing.. and they're less prone to breakage, and guaranteed.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Better is subjective, a 10' cheaper cable and a 20' Mogami may sound exactly alike. You may actually like the little high freq roll off some of the med grade 20' provide vs a pristine high dollar 20', many people do. Only way to know what your ears and setup likes is to try them, me I like my 15' armor gold as guitar lead cable, if that's to bright switch to 25' one or a lesser grade 15'. Trial and error is only way to find the right one.