Between two SGs - hypothetically

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BigSB, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BigSB

BigSB Member

A 1998 Special in plum

Or

A 2013 SGJ?

Both the same price, no shipping involved.

SGJ has upgraded Grovers and matte black pickup covers. Finish has been buffed so it has z nice subtle sheen.

Which would you choose and why? Jr. has the 490s in both positions.

Special has 496R and 498T.

I love, love, love SGs, and I'm just curious as to which would be a better value, or if there are quantifiable ways one is superior to the other.

Thanks!

2. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with the quality of a '98 Gibson over a recent one.

3. garret

garret Member

Would have to agree. Picked up an SG Special in GC a couple months ago and was terribly disappointed. Tone was poor and the nut was binding on a few strings.

Build quality overall was good, but it just didn't have any "mojo" at all.

4. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

I concur. I know this isn't a scientific test or anything, but I bought an SG Standard through the internet a couple years ago before the big price jack and thought it was just ok, acceptable, no obvious problems, but just didn't sound like anything special. Couldn't justify spending $1000 more than an Epi would cost when they sounded pretty much the same. Actually it sounded like someone threw a set of 57 Classics into a G-400 if that makes sense. Not bad, just not really good. . :dunno

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

the 98 all the way. You will be able to get those other SG's even cheaper in a year or used .

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The '98, it would have an ABR-1, which is superior to me, especially on an SG.

7. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

98, not even close. The newer SGs aren't my bag, the cheaper ones should pretty cheap and the wood is pretty dead, and the more expensive newer SGs all have the 60s thin neck which I hate. The late 90s to early 2000s may have been the golden (or silver?) age of SGs IMO. Not to say all the late 90s-early 00s are incredible, theres some dogs for sure, but spec wise I where Gibson has been heading, and the wood seemed to take a major drop following the raids in 08/09.

8. jtees4

jtees4 Member

98 for sure. The mid to late 90's were good years for SG's....just my opinion on owning at least 20 SG's over the years and loving a few from that era.

9. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

Buy them both and sell the one you love the least... or sell both and keep looking.