Beveled Pup Mags, Tonal Difference?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Wesman61, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Can Anyone tell Me what difference tonally beveling the magnets on Strat pickups makes? Thanks.

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

3. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

None at all. At least nothing that would make an audible difference. Maybe on paper the magnetic field will slightly change but if anyone claims they can hear a difference then they deserve an award.

4. sqadan

sqadan Member

I think it's done for the purpose of being historically accurate on reissue Strats now... but I don't think it effects the sound at all.

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

It makes for easy press in on the forbon bobbins.

6. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

I wasn't around in the 50's but I get the impression they were a little crazy with making everything "safe". Your poor little hand wouldn't even get a scratch, 'cause Fender had a cover over the bridge. "Safety post" tuning pegs.
    Of course, there came along these dangerous rebels, who would use the bridge covers as an ashtray. But it was off-set by the health benefits cigarettes gave back then.

7. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

I'm not sure either but I'd like to know if anyone has info on this topic.

I know the vintage Strats I've owned in the past did not have the beveled magnetic poles. ('58, '63, and '65)

8. parkhead

parkhead Member

the beveled poles were done on the PUPs to make it easier to push the magnet into the bobbin...

reissue guitars did not have the bevel till 2005 or so
    the bevel on the reissue is more extreme than the original bevel

the bevel machining of the rods and the consistency of the surface all affect
    the tone of the pickup

IMHO the sand cast irregularities of the old magnets are a a much bigger factor
    in old magnet tone than any variations in the alloys over time

on older PRS guitars they beveled the tips of the pickup screws then had them plated so at one point they felt such things made a difference

in theory a beveled magnet will have a smaller focal point and a brighter sound ... however the bevel will also diffuse the magnetic lines of force
    at the edges of the bevel

p

9. parkhead

parkhead Member

no the saftey post tuner was a kluson product ... covers and trim bits were exactly that ... no one thought you should see the machinery on a finished product...
    all those covers were a pain since they interfered with muting and picking
    and got turned into ashtrays in short order

the number one reason why Leo made all sorts of cool covers for his instruments was because he had a massive metal press and
    loved to use it !!!

He was a punch press & machinery fetishist

p

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Leo did love him some stampings. That punch press was the first big machine tool he owned and he put that thing to work.

The covers make sense as far as not shredding the heel of your hand on Fender bridges. For me half the art of adjusting a Tele or Strat is to get those height adjustment screws down to where they don't draw blood.

As for the original question about the beveled magnets. I've done experiments on pole piece shapes and the bevel does less to change the sound than almost any other thing you can do to a pole piece. Maybe someone hears it. I don't. It does make for a nicer finished appearance. A lot of the unbeveled ones I've seen were pretty raw looking back in the day.

11. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

Nope... But I do think they look cooler.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

beveled poles are nice for not catching on your pick or fingers.

as for the covers, i gather leo had the notion that nobody should mess with the adjustments on his guitars, and people would return them to the factory for maintenance. (look at the tele, with the bridge pickup and the bridge hidden under a cover, the neck adjustment screws hidden under the pickguard, and the truss rod access hidden away.)