Beware of MJT/Musikraft customer service!!!

omfg51

DISCLAIMER: I recently posted about this issue, but the situation has now reached an all new level of disappointing. This post is regarding a very negative situation I am currently tied up in with both MJT and Musikraft regarding a product I have purchased. It is simply a factual recounting, combined with my personal opinion based on the facts.

I truly hate to have to post this, as I have had great products and interactions with these guys in the past, but I feel that what I have experienced simply should not go unnoticed.

I recently (2 months ago) received a kit I had ordered from MJT/Musikraft that I had eagerly anticipated for about 3 and a half months. To my dismay, I found that upon attempted assembly of my kit, there were several glaring issues with several of the components, so much so that drastic modification would be required in order to properly assemble the kit with any intention of being able to play it.

Here is a list of some of the more detrimental known issues with the kit:

- Neck base originally didn't fit correctly into neck pocket in order for the neck to be straight, now slightly modified to fit straighter

- Positioning of the cavity for the vibrato system is off, and renders the locking mechanism of the actual tailpiece useless

- Frets were not properly fitted into slots in the fingerboard, and after being seated, about 50% of the frets are totally seated (glued) in place and will not move, but are not remotely level with one another to allow playability

- Pickguard cavity holes did not align with body cavities, and most other components did not fit pickguard

- Post holes for the bridge were not aligned with the neck cavity properly, thus the saddles will guide the strings too far away from the low E side of the neck, and too close to the edge of the fingerboard on the high e side

There are a few other minor issues that I was able to fix with some modification, but the aforementioned are what will require a lot of time and money from a local luthier in order to address.

Many of the issues were understandable from an individual standpoint, and can even be expected with guitar manufacturing these days. Things like the nut, the bridge or saddles, fret issues, etc. all things that I have witnessed firsthand with previously owned instruments. Yet the sheer number of issues with this single instrument, even a kit guitar, a collective of parts,and the overall effect these issues will have on the functional aspects, this guitar is simply not worth the time, money, and effort to try to achieve basic playability.

To me, this is not a truly new experience, I'm sure many of us have received a sub-par instrument from somewhere, but the way that my particular case has been handled is simply unacceptable.
Matt and Jenny from MJT have been ridiculously slow with email responses this time around, specifically with questions or complaints about anything at all, nonetheless the issue of the instrument being faulty altogether. Musikraft at this point has completely stopped responding to my emails, most of which are about faulty production of the neck I received in this kit.
At this point, both companies have claimed, multiple times, to have little to no real binding affiliation with one another, and have pointed the finger at one another in cases of customer accommodation and communication. I have been outright declined any kind of reimbursement from MJT for a simply faulty and unworthy product, and have been directed to Musikraft for anything further.

Let me say that I still own and play a guitar purchased from MJT/Musikraft, and it is a fantastic instrument, one that I still consider my number 1 guitar to this very day.Unfortunately, the situation I am currently in with these two companies is, by far, the worst example of basic communication and customer accommodation I have experienced with any gear purchase.
I know that this is a completely negative post about an otherwise respectable and deserving company, and I myself admit that my previous purchase is more than 100% satisfactory. Yet, I cannot help but feel like the lack of responsibility taken, by both companies in this case, is simply unacceptable given the issue(s), and their severity.

I post this simply to explain my current position, and to hopefully inspire more people to hold these companies accountable for the quality of their products, or lack thereof in this particular case.

Last edited:

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe you're not qualified to assemble guitars?? Not trying to be rude, but also finding this post "HIGHLY UNUSUAL" and pointless to be honest. Hope it gets resolved thou, I've had nothing but great experiences with both companies, of course they take time to reply, I'm sure you and I are not their only customers. Good luck.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
To be fair to MJTele, they only do finish work. They route no bodies, install no frets nor drill any holes. I highly doubt any of the problems were visually so out of spec that they would notice in their normal course of work. It does however, seem that you have a good amount of things to be upset about with Musikraft.

Vai81

Who did you pay? Who ever pocketed your money should be resolving your complaint, end to end. If you've payed MJT, they need to sort it out with Musikraft.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Bummer for you. I have communicated with both and worked with both and I can't offer any comparable complaint. They have been easy to communicate with and they make grand parts that I've worked with to make rocking instruments.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
The way this explained is beyond belief.

So how many frets did not fit properly? Did not move? Does this mean you were trying to seat them more firmly against the fret board?

Vibrato and locking system unusable?

Pickguard cavities holes did not align? Well that sounds really strange because they start with gear made by Fender. It's many other makers who do not fit to an exact replication. It wouldn't be Musikraft that would make a body that was not in almost perfect alignment with Fender.

I believe I've added MIM neck to a USACG or a Musikraft with only a need small sanding to one or the other.

Not calling you a liar. Also not believing you.

low_fidelity210

Silver Supporting Member
Every point you listed would be the fault of the builder, not the painter.

You should edit your thread to remove MJT from responsibility.
Agreed....MJT does not make Bodies or necks. They do finish work on necks/bodies they receive from other builders (wildwood, musikraft, USACG, All Parts, etc...), and sell kit packages bundled together (w/hardware, and plastics....they also do not manufacture any hardware or plastics, it's generally sourced from all parts, and aged by MJT).
So any issues with parts fitting together, misaligned routes, fret work, etc....is completely out of their hands.

As an aside, last I checked....most body builders don't route the holes for Jazzmaster Bridge thimbles...allparts, wildwood, and Musickraft didn't last I used them at least....the bodies they sell in the JM kit, has PILOT holes drilled for the bridge thimbles...it is up to the person assembling the guitar to drill out these holes to the proper size, depth, and make sure they're square to the top, to accept thimbles, and to measure and make sure they are aligned correctly. They're pilot holes, a guide to help get you in the general area where the thimbles should be....it's up to you to make sure the final hole is in the correct spot, once enlarged for thimbles.

Sounds to me, like you probably drilled out those holes a little too far to the lower bout, and that's why nothing is aligning correctly. (Or if you didn't enlarge them at all to fit the thimbles, an just stuck the legs of the bridge in the holes....that will definitely be w problem)

Also as far as the trem route being "wrong"....did you square the back edges of the cavity during assembly? Cause you need to do that, or the trem and lock won't function properly.

All JM bodies I've come across from builders other than fender, come with the rear wall of the trem cavity with rounded edges. Those edges need to be squared with a sharp chisel during assembly so that the trem plate can be aligned correctly, and sit far enough back in the route to allow for 1. Full travel of the trem 2. Proper trem function without binding from the cavity rear wall and 3. Proper function of the slide trem lock. (If the trem isn't sitting far enough back in the route, the lock won't be able to slide forward enough to completely disengage....so it will end up just always being locked/not allow for pull ups on the bar)
If you didn't square those edges during assembly....then yeah, I totally believe that your lock doesn't work right, and the trem probably doesn't function as intended. That's your responsibility to do as the person assembling the guitar.

Now the neck pocket not being cut properly....are you sure that's the problem? If you misaligned the bridge, then yeah, it's gonna seem like the strings are too close to one side of the neck....might not be the neck pocket.
As far as I'm aware MJT gets their JM bodies from All parts, unless you ask for one from a different parts company (all parts JM bodies are built to MIJ fender spec). And I highly doubt allparts botched the neck pocket.
What's more likely is, there's probably some paint build up on either the upper bout side of the pocket, or possibly paint build up on the floor of the pocket.....which is once again, something that YOU are meant to look for, and scarpe/sand away any excess paint in the neck pocket, during final assembly.
If you didn't inspect the pocket before trying to fit the neck, and correct any excess paint build up before assembly....then yeah, there might be problems.

The pickguard not covering the route....like I said earlier, MJT supplies their JM kits with bodies, hardware and plastics with parts from Allparts. Allparts bodies are made to MIJ fender spec, and a pickguard made to fit an American Fended Jazzmaster, or vintage spec Jazzmaster body, will not fit properly on a MIJ spec body.
That's not a problem, if the body and pickguard are both from allparts. The Allparts pickguards are MIJ spec, just like their bodies, and fit their bodies just fine.
Now if you specified in your order, a body from anyone other than allparts, then yes, you're gonna have issues with the pickguard fitting the body right. The bridge pickup route also will be slightly off compared to a vintage spec body.
Granted MJT should know that, and source a different pickguard when people order non-allparts bodies....so that's on them....but at the same time, that also falls under the responsibility of the person ordering the kit, to educate themselves enough, to know that a USA spec pickguard won't fit on a MIJ spec body, and vice versa....and ask MJT about whether or not it will be an issue before hand, and then source a properly spec'd part to fit the body they're using.

As far as the frets not being seated properly upon arrival....that is definitely unacceptable, and should have been corrected by the builder of the neck. Musikraft has always been very friendly and helpful for me in the rare case I've had an issue with one of their products...so it's really surprising they're not being more helpful for you....that said, if you're emailing, or calling them, with the same sort of attitude you've displayed in all your postings on this issue, that may be why you're not getting a very nice response. Catch more flys with honey and all that....

Now, as for the frets not being Level after having been properly seated (did musikraft correct this? Or someone else?)......every neck bought from a parts supplier, will need a level and crown when brand new. And that is, yet again....the responsibility of whoever is doing final assembly of the instrument. (I.e. You in this case)

So yeah, sorta seems like most of these problems aren't due to Musickraft, whoever made the body, and definitely not MJT (since they only paint stuff and sell bundled kits)....seems like the person who's putting it together is the issue....when assembling a parts guitar, it is the responsibility of the person doing the final assembly, to educate themselves on the details needed to build the kind of guitar they are building. It's also the responsibility of the person doing final assembly to properly execute the process, know how to identify issues and remedy them as they come up.

Not trying to offend or anything, though I'm sure you're still probably gonna be offended. An that's ok.
But you shouldn't go on a major forum, bad mouthing a Small family owned business, who is known for excellent work, and great customer service....simply because you're upset that you're having trouble assembling a guitar correctly.

As an aside....Jazzmasters are very different guitars from strats or telecasters, and require doing the proper research before attempting a build. Check out the offset forum, there's a lot of guys there that would be happy to help you work out the bugs in that kit, and get it fully assembled and setup into something you'll love.

zztomato

- Neck base originally didn't fit correctly into neck pocket in order for the neck to be straight, now slightly modified to fit straighter
Were the holes drilled already for the neck? How "off" was the pocket? I never get the holes drilled due to the fact that every body/neck joining is going to be slightly different. It's best to get the neck in place and then mark and drill the holes in the neck.

- Positioning of the cavity for the vibrato system is off, and renders the locking mechanism of the actual tailpiece useless
If the neck alignment is off, everything is going to look off. If the rout is off though, that's cause for a replacement.

- Frets were not properly fitted into slots in the fingerboard, and after being seated, about 50% of the frets are totally seated (glued) in place and will not move, but are not remotely level with one another to allow playability
Did you glue them? All new necks need to have the frets levelled, period. I find it hard to believe that 50% of the frets were not seated properly. Not saying you are wrong but this is completely contrary to my experience with Musikraft. Their fretwork is excellent by any standard. That said, I've never had a new neck from any company that I haven't "worked" to where I want it.

- Pickguard cavity holes did not align with body cavities, and most other components did not fit pickguard
It is most definitely on MJT to make sure what they put together for you in one of their kits fit together properly.

- Post holes for the bridge were not aligned with the neck cavity properly, thus the saddles will guide the strings too far away from the low E side of the neck, and too close to the edge of the fingerboard on the high e side
Again, very dependent on how your neck alignment is.

Sometimes things can look at first glance like they are not going to line up but then as you put things together, and make adjustments here and there, it all comes together. Sometimes things fit beautifully, sometimes it's a slog getting it to come together. The slight variations in parts tolerances can really add up.

Anyway, the tone of your post comes off as quite volatile and mildly unclear. If you communicated like this with Musikraft or MJT I think I can see why you are having trouble.
I'm not saying that you don't have cause, because, reading between the lines, it seems like you do. Good luck.

louis

DISCLAIMER: I recently posted about this issue, but the situation has now reached an all new level of disappointing. This post is regarding a very negative situation I am currently tied up in with both MJT and Musikraft regarding a product I have purchased. It is simply a factual recounting, combined with my personal opinion based on the facts.

I truly hate to have to post this, as I have had great products and interactions with these guys in the past, but I feel that what I have experienced simply should not go unnoticed.

I recently (2 months ago) received a kit I had ordered from MJT/Musikraft that I had eagerly anticipated for about 3 and a half months. To my dismay, I found that upon attempted assembly of my kit, there were several glaring issues with several of the components, so much so that drastic modification would be required in order to properly assemble the kit with any intention of being able to play it.

Here is a list of some of the more detrimental known issues with the kit:

There are a few other minor issues that I was able to fix with some modification, but the aforementioned are what will require a lot of time and money from a local luthier in order to address.

Many of the issues were understandable from an individual standpoint, and can even be expected with guitar manufacturing these days. Things like the nut, the bridge or saddles, fret issues, etc. all things that I have witnessed firsthand with previously owned instruments. Yet the sheer number of issues with this single instrument, even a kit guitar, a collective of parts,and the overall effect these issues will have on the functional aspects, this guitar is simply not worth the time, money, and effort to try to achieve basic playability.

To me, this is not a truly new experience, I'm sure many of us have received a sub-par instrument from somewhere, but the way that my particular case has been handled is simply unacceptable.
Matt and Jenny from MJT have been ridiculously slow with email responses this time around, specifically with questions or complaints about anything at all, nonetheless the issue of the instrument being faulty altogether. Musikraft at this point has completely stopped responding to my emails, most of which are about faulty production of the neck I received in this kit.
At this point, both companies have claimed, multiple times, to have little to no real binding affiliation with one another, and have pointed the finger at one another in cases of customer accommodation and communication. I have been outright declined any kind of reimbursement from MJT for a simply faulty and unworthy product, and have been directed to Musikraft for anything further.

Let me say that I still own and play a guitar purchased from MJT/Musikraft, and it is a fantastic instrument, one that I still consider my number 1 guitar to this very day.Unfortunately, the situation I am currently in with these two companies is, by far, the worst example of basic communication and customer accommodation I have experienced with any gear purchase.
I know that this is a completely negative post about an otherwise respectable and deserving company, and I myself admit that my previous purchase is more than 100% satisfactory. Yet, I cannot help but feel like the lack of responsibility taken, by both companies in this case, is simply unacceptable given the issue(s), and their severity.

I post this simply to explain my current position, and to hopefully inspire more people to hold these companies accountable for the quality of their products, or lack thereof in this particular case.
Thank's for letting us know ,........have any pictures ?

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
Save for the dubious claim regarding Musikraft's fretwork, what I'm seeing here are very normal, very easily remedied issues inherent to building a parts guitar. If you want plug and play, buy off the rack.

skydog

Save for the dubious claim regarding Musikraft's fretwork, what I'm seeing here are very normal, very easily remedied issues inherent to building a parts guitar. If you want plug and play, buy off the rack.
Brahahahaha!!!!

TheWayfarer84

Silver Supporting Member
hmmm owned many MJT bodies and Musikraft necks without any issue (actually just ordered one of each today ha). Can't say I've had much interaction with Musikraft, but I have numerous email threads with Mark Jenny running 30+ long and never been anything but impressed with their cs. Not sure what happened up to your post, but I don't think we're getting a full picture, sorry.

Last edited:

Trending Topics