• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Beware of MJT/Musikraft customer service!!!

bluesoul

I have to call bullsh*t on this one. MJT bodies are manufactured by Wildwood using CNC machines. Pretty unlikely they are sending MJT bodies out of spec. Two very reputable parties...MJT and Musikraft. The OP does not have just one minor issue...he claims that everything appears to be a mess. Multiple problems? Service issues? I don't buy it for a minute. I can't recall once that anyone has made a complaint on this site regarding service issues involving MJT or Musikraft.
Maybe user error. A neck just does not bolt up and you are good to go. It has to first line up with the bridge and there is room to adjust the neck in the pocket (slight side to side shifting) allowing strings to line up on the fretboard where the high and low E strings are equal distance from the fretboard edges. If that is off...everything is off.
I have never had an issue with any MJT bodies and I have done a bunch of builds using them. I have not had an issue with a Musikraft neck either....I have had many.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
You buy kit.
Kit no good.
You modify kit.
Kit still no good.
Now you complain?
If you knew of these problems to begin with, why the heck did you try to fix them yourself rather than return the kit then and there?

sliberty

I've had nothing but great experiences with Mark and Matt. And when a friend had an issue, they took very good care of him. Sounds like an anomaly to me. Probably more going on than we know.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks to the OP and all the technical replies. You have saved me from attempting a kit build and failure.
There is a lot more to putting together a bolt on neck guitar than just "slapping it together" but that is always implied when ever someone starts slagging a builder other than Fender who builds classic "F" style guitars. "How hard can it be" is typically the battle cry. It is a lot simpler than building an archtop or even any of the classic glue-in neck electrics but it does still require knowledge and skill. That being said, it is still worth it to "build" a kit or parts guitar with the help of a good tech or luthier that you can work with. It still gets you a guitar to exactly your specs without a Gibson or Fender CS price.

zztomato

There is a lot more to putting together a bolt on neck guitar than just "slapping it together" but that is always implied when ever someone starts slagging a builder other than Fender who builds classic "F" style guitars. "How hard can it be" is typically the battle cry. It is a lot simpler than building an archtop or even any of the classic glue-in neck electrics but it does still require knowledge and skill. That being said, it is still worth it to "build" a kit or parts guitar with the help of a good tech or luthier that you can work with. It still gets you a guitar to exactly your specs without a Gibson or Fender CS price.
I think anyone who is even remotely interested in the technical side of how a guitar works should attempt a build of a partscatser. It a great learning experience and can give you a better understanding of why a guitar will play well or not play well. It will also help you later in diagnosing problems with your guitars or guitars you may be interested in buying. There's no down side to it really

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
You're not finding sympathy here because many of us have many successful orders they both companies. You come off as a 'problem customer'. Maybe just stick to Fender and stay away from partscasters?

Sorry if this is unfair, hope you figure it out

Guitarworks

Op, building a guitar, even a kit guitar, is not like assembling an inexpensive chest or kitchen table purchased from shopko with an included Allen wrench, step-by-step diagrams and loose tolerances on every piece so that anyone can put it together in an hour. Even kit parts are going to need sanding and adjustment to get them to play ball. That's why it's so noticeable when a mass producer cuts corners.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
The issues mentioned are absolutely not excusable for a partscaster. Further, if MJT sold him the body, they take responsibility for it, no matter where they got it. The OP did not purchase it from the manufacturer, it was bought from MJT. If they sold you the neck, they own that one too. Like any business with a defective product..

bluesoul

The issues mentioned are absolutely not excusable for a partscaster. Further, if MJT sold him the body, they take responsibility for it, no matter where they got it. The OP did not purchase it from the manufacturer, it was bought from MJT. If they sold you the neck, they own that one too. Like any business with a defective product..
IF....there are issues. IF!

magnus02

Silver Supporting Member
All seems sketchy...

Maybe the ONLY point I agree with the OP on is the fact that if MJT is bundling parts and selling kits they are ABSOLUTELY taking responsibility and cannot defer to Musikraft etc. They are a reseller. They are responsible.

But I've been educated greatly in this thread, had no idea how much work goes into assembling a proper partscaster (esp an offset) and feel like there may be some user error here.

cugel

The best thing would have been to take pics before doing ANYTHING to that wood. The second you start in with it, its hard to know where the problem lies.

Three options:

1) you got the worst kit ever in the history of TGP.
2) you don't know anything about guitars and these aren't really problems.
3) a bit of each.

I play the odds and choice #1 seems highly unlikely

Bunky

A body I bought from MJT also arrived with bridge post holes off enough that it had to be filled and redrilled so that the guitar would intonate properly.

uncle looie

Never any problem with either company.
Same here. I have had six necks built for me by Musikraft and I've not had a single issue with any of them. The workmanship on all of them was stellar and the playability once assembled was flawless. I've also gotten two custom bodies from MJT and both were excellent. I will continue to use both companies without the slightest hesitation or reservation.

Lex Luthier

If it's a parts-o-caster, I usually assemble the parts in the white before finish to make sure everything is going to fit/work. Then I disassemble, do final prep work and shoot the finish. You can't just assume stuff is going to fit together perfectly.

Trending Topics