• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Beware of MJT/Musikraft customer service!!!

Ron Kirn

Platinum Supporting Member
ahh.. we all have one like this occasionally, and they simply refuse to be made happy... or make demands that really preclude resolving the issues...

I had one a few years back ... took delivery of a pretty expensive guitar, then immediately, and I do mean immediately set out replacing everything he could... then when he screwed it up, demanded his money back. Interesting thing, it was a custom, he could have ordered it with everything he changed..

Both MJT and Musicraft have stellar reputations... I'd encourage all to consider that aspect....

rk

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed....MJT does not make Bodies or necks. They do finish work on necks/bodies they receive from other builders (wildwood, musikraft, USACG, All Parts, etc...), and sell kit packages bundled together (w/hardware, and plastics....they also do not manufacture any hardware or plastics, it's generally sourced from all parts, and aged by MJT).
So any issues with parts fitting together, misaligned routes, fret work, etc....is completely out of their hands.

As an aside, last I checked....most body builders don't route the holes for Jazzmaster Bridge thimbles...allparts, wildwood, and Musickraft didn't last I used them at least....the bodies they sell in the JM kit, has PILOT holes drilled for the bridge thimbles...it is up to the person assembling the guitar to drill out these holes to the proper size, depth, and make sure they're square to the top, to accept thimbles, and to measure and make sure they are aligned correctly. They're pilot holes, a guide to help get you in the general area where the thimbles should be....it's up to you to make sure the final hole is in the correct spot, once enlarged for thimbles.

Sounds to me, like you probably drilled out those holes a little too far to the lower bout, and that's why nothing is aligning correctly. (Or if you didn't enlarge them at all to fit the thimbles, an just stuck the legs of the bridge in the holes....that will definitely be w problem)

Also as far as the trem route being "wrong"....did you square the back edges of the cavity during assembly? Cause you need to do that, or the trem and lock won't function properly.

All JM bodies I've come across from builders other than fender, come with the rear wall of the trem cavity with rounded edges. Those edges need to be squared with a sharp chisel during assembly so that the trem plate can be aligned correctly, and sit far enough back in the route to allow for 1. Full travel of the trem 2. Proper trem function without binding from the cavity rear wall and 3. Proper function of the slide trem lock. (If the trem isn't sitting far enough back in the route, the lock won't be able to slide forward enough to completely disengage....so it will end up just always being locked/not allow for pull ups on the bar)
If you didn't square those edges during assembly....then yeah, I totally believe that your lock doesn't work right, and the trem probably doesn't function as intended. That's your responsibility to do as the person assembling the guitar.

Now the neck pocket not being cut properly....are you sure that's the problem? If you misaligned the bridge, then yeah, it's gonna seem like the strings are too close to one side of the neck....might not be the neck pocket.
As far as I'm aware MJT gets their JM bodies from All parts, unless you ask for one from a different parts company (all parts JM bodies are built to MIJ fender spec). And I highly doubt allparts botched the neck pocket.
What's more likely is, there's probably some paint build up on either the upper bout side of the pocket, or possibly paint build up on the floor of the pocket.....which is once again, something that YOU are meant to look for, and scarpe/sand away any excess paint in the neck pocket, during final assembly.
If you didn't inspect the pocket before trying to fit the neck, and correct any excess paint build up before assembly....then yeah, there might be problems.

The pickguard not covering the route....like I said earlier, MJT supplies their JM kits with bodies, hardware and plastics with parts from Allparts. Allparts bodies are made to MIJ fender spec, and a pickguard made to fit an American Fended Jazzmaster, or vintage spec Jazzmaster body, will not fit properly on a MIJ spec body.
That's not a problem, if the body and pickguard are both from allparts. The Allparts pickguards are MIJ spec, just like their bodies, and fit their bodies just fine.
Now if you specified in your order, a body from anyone other than allparts, then yes, you're gonna have issues with the pickguard fitting the body right. The bridge pickup route also will be slightly off compared to a vintage spec body.
Granted MJT should know that, and source a different pickguard when people order non-allparts bodies....so that's on them....but at the same time, that also falls under the responsibility of the person ordering the kit, to educate themselves enough, to know that a USA spec pickguard won't fit on a MIJ spec body, and vice versa....and ask MJT about whether or not it will be an issue before hand, and then source a properly spec'd part to fit the body they're using.

As far as the frets not being seated properly upon arrival....that is definitely unacceptable, and should have been corrected by the builder of the neck. Musikraft has always been very friendly and helpful for me in the rare case I've had an issue with one of their products...so it's really surprising they're not being more helpful for you....that said, if you're emailing, or calling them, with the same sort of attitude you've displayed in all your postings on this issue, that may be why you're not getting a very nice response. Catch more flys with honey and all that....

Now, as for the frets not being Level after having been properly seated (did musikraft correct this? Or someone else?)......every neck bought from a parts supplier, will need a level and crown when brand new. And that is, yet again....the responsibility of whoever is doing final assembly of the instrument. (I.e. You in this case)

So yeah, sorta seems like most of these problems aren't due to Musickraft, whoever made the body, and definitely not MJT (since they only paint stuff and sell bundled kits)....seems like the person who's putting it together is the issue....when assembling a parts guitar, it is the responsibility of the person doing the final assembly, to educate themselves on the details needed to build the kind of guitar they are building. It's also the responsibility of the person doing final assembly to properly execute the process, know how to identify issues and remedy them as they come up.

Not trying to offend or anything, though I'm sure you're still probably gonna be offended. An that's ok.
But you shouldn't go on a major forum, bad mouthing a Small family owned business, who is known for excellent work, and great customer service....simply because you're upset that you're having trouble assembling a guitar correctly.

As an aside....Jazzmasters are very different guitars from strats or telecasters, and require doing the proper research before attempting a build. Check out the offset forum, there's a lot of guys there that would be happy to help you work out the bugs in that kit, and get it fully assembled and setup into something you'll love.
Thanks for all of this information! I was considering buying a replacement body for my CIJ Jazzmaster from MJT to shave a pound or so off the guitar. Sanding a neck pocket to insure a good fit I can do. Chiseling out a bridge route? Not in my wheelhouse. After hearing the steps involved, I think I'll stick with what I have or try to find a lightweight body off a guitar that's already been setup.

BennyBigwood

I’ve never seen an MJT Strat or JM build where the neck pocket wasn’t sunken deeper than spec fender and where the high E string wasn’t way off.

My Tele has great string alignment but the neck pocket is deeeep.

I love the customer service but was not offered a refund at any point after pointing out that the pilot holes / the trem hole location was actually off.

I think that Wildwood is the culprit. They should really fire their CNC operator before all everyone on this thread actually buys a pair of glasses and looks at their high E string and neck pocket depth and realizes that they are all just sloppy and didn’t notice because they are amateurs.

Strat Cat 63

I've never had a problem with either company but I can tell you from experience that no kit guitar would includes a neck where the frets are crowned, leveled, bull-nosed and polished ready to string and play. At least not one I am aware of. Fender charges about $599 to $699 for a neck they say is bolt-on ready to play (with Decal) but everyone knows when you put tension on the neck all of that changes and requires adjustments like truss rod and nut adjusted for string gauge and depth. Most qualified builders or repair shops charge a minimum of $100.00 to do it for you and it would usually include making sure the frets are all pressed in properly. Performing this service on a bound neck is even more expensive. The word "KIT" is a bad word in the world of DIY guys because what it really means is "we've included the parts... good luck with assembly if you have limited or no experience". My first kit was a Saga from back in the 80's. I did such a bad job on it that it was virtually unplayable. The kit back then cost about $75.00 and had solderless connectors and pre-drilled holes so everything went where it was supposed to go but because I didn't have set up and fret/nut experience... it sucked as an instrument and cost me another $100.00 bucks to make right.

TheWayfarer84

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve never seen an MJT Strat or JM build where the neck pocket wasn’t sunken deeper than spec fender and where the high E string wasn’t way off.

My Tele has great string alignment but the neck pocket is deeeep.

I love the customer service but was not offered a refund at any point after pointing out that the pilot holes / the trem hole location was actually off.

I think that Wildwood is the culprit. They should really fire their CNC operator before all everyone on this thread actually buys a pair of glasses and looks at their high E string and neck pocket depth and realizes that they are all just sloppy and didn’t notice because they are amateurs.
Yes, the traditional vintage strat neck pocket "spec" is 1.625 (or 1 5/8) inches deep. I put spec in quotes because the vintage ones aren't always to spec. Modern fenders tend to use 1 11/16 depth pocket on most models. They're not "deeeeeeep". They're just a little deeper. I measured the two MJT bodies I had here and were both 1.6875 (or 1 11/16) on the money.

I actually prefer the deeper, and totally acceptable, 1.6875” depth as you can set up a slightly slinkier guitar. Some high end builders (Danocaster) actually do this as well.

I've had about a dozen MJT bodies over the years and have had ZERO issues with string alignment or e strings slipping off. They've also sold, I don't know, thousands of stratocaster bodies without uproar about string alignment....

Last edited:

Ron Kirn

a slight correction on theWayfarer's specs.... no Fender neck pocket is 1.625, or 1 11/16 deep.. that would almost remove the body's heel ... the nominal depth is 5/8ths.. Jazzmasters are 9/16

I'm sure he meant to say the neck pocket WIDTH is 1 11/16 WIDE and the vintage pockets are 1 5/8ths WIDE...

just so, if anyone is current making a body, they don't run out to the shop and make a mistake with the router that cannot be "erased".

rk

TheWayfarer84

Silver Supporting Member
a slight correction on theWayfarer's specs.... no Fender neck pocket is 1.625, or 1 11/16 deep.. that would almost remove the body's heel ... the nominal depth is 5/8ths.. Jazzmasters are 9/16

I'm sure he meant to say the neck pocket WIDTH is 1 11/16 WIDE and the vintage pockets are 1 5/8ths WIDE...

just so, if anyone is current making a body, they don't run out to the shop and make a mistake with the router that cannot be "erased".

rk
Good catch, Ron. I meant 5/8” and 11/16”. The MJT pockets do seem to be deeper at 11/16”. But that does not seem to be highly unusual.

Ron Kirn

yeah, 11/16 is a bit problematical... specially if you are installing a 22 fret neck.. with a 3 ply pick guard... you're not gonna be too happy as you tighten down those neck bolts...

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
I put together a Blackguard Tele using a MJT body with a Musikraft neck last fall. Everything fit perfectly and the guitar looks/sounds/plays great. The MJT body was a custom order, not an eBay purchase. Communication was excellent from both companies.

No complaints here. I’m thinking about using both companies for a Strat build this summer.

Bunky

I would never buy an MJT guitar body again. The bridge holes holes on my jaguar body (which weighed a ton) weren’t even in the right spot.

I've built 3 guitars with MJT bodies and Musikraft necks. I can't speak highly enough of either company in regards to both the quality of their products and in their CS. So much so that I'm in the middle of a 4th build (waiting on parts to get to me - looking like a couple more months).

What's funny, is that when other players come to my home to jam, they always gravitate and remark how awesome the partscasters are. I have had several offers to purchase them (no dice - they mine!) and just yesterday was requested to build one for a co-worker. I told him the magic is mostly in good parts and next in a good set-up. We'll see how it goes - but I told him I wouldn't do it unless - you guessed it - he bought an MJT body and a Musikraft neck.

JPenn

i just found this thread searching google, dont know how i missed it.

i ordered a body from mjt at the end of feb, and specified what weight, wood choice, and pickup route i wanted. after a couple of weeks i was informed they ordered the wrong route on the body, and had to reorder. no problem i wasnt in a big hurry. fast forward to last thursday when i received pics of the body, and the pickup route was wrong. i immediately replied that it was wrong and it took til this afternoon (monday) to get a reply.

they apologized and said they would reorder the body again. i told them i just wanted to abandon the project if it was going to take another 10-12 weeks, and was told there are no refunds on a custom order.

these emails have all been with the project mgr. im a tad bit upset over it. i have emailed the mjt@ and have gotten no reply yet.

i do understand no refunds on custom orders if i decided i wanted to change something halfway thru the process, but in this case there has been 2 mistakes that had nothing do with me.

hopefully they will get back with me on it. if i get no response, then i surely wont have positive things to say about them

mvsr990

they apologized and said they would reorder the body again. i told them i just wanted to abandon the project if it was going to take another 10-12 weeks, and was told there are no refunds on a custom order.

these emails have all been with the project mgr. im a tad bit upset over it. i have emailed the mjt@ and have gotten no reply yet.

i do understand no refunds on custom orders if i decided i wanted to change something halfway thru the process, but in this case there has been 2 mistakes that had nothing do with me.
That's very disappointing. I was unhappy with Satellite Amps because I special ordered one of their Coronet guitar builds, it ran way longer than the build estimate, then past the second and third times I asked.

At nine months I requested a refund - they immediately e-mailed back and apologized, said they had dropped the ball and refunded my deposit. It's not great that I gave them a nine month loan for a significant chunk of money but I appreciated the way they handled it in the end, given the way I hear about so many other gear companies handling it (like the above). Mistakes and problems happen, rectifying it ASAP goes a long way with me.

FiestaRed869

The done 3 MJT builds. Numerous emails throughout the entire process. Once when the paint is done to confirm color, 2-4 times throughout the aging process to confirm , and 1-2 times during the neck aging. Always quick responses, and even had to redo my body due to the custom color being off. Some of the best customer service I have ever had.

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
In my experience every partsocaster I have built has required a little sanding, plugging, or drilling here and there. To build one correctly you have to know how to roll with the punches and make adjustments when necessary. I have learned a ton building and the knowledge I have gained is way worth the hassle of dealing with a cavity 1/64 inches out of spec. I'll take a tight neck pocket that requires some fitting over a sloppy wide one any day.

I also prefer a slightly deeper pocket and agree that it makes for a easy playing guitar tension wise. When the pocket is on the shallow side the saddles end up jacked way up and the break angle gets too steep for my tastes.

Never had an issue with MJT or Guitar mill. Good stuff.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
I have had nothing but good stuff happen with MJT since 2002. Vintage restoration and the rest. They were always very concerned about how the build was going, degree of relicing, etc. to the point of send pics along the way to be sure all was well. I got a fantastic restored but all original but finish '52 tele from Mark. Had a '61 blond and '57 burst strat done wth them and went perfect. That being said the last time I dealt with them was 10 years ago. Perhaps things have changed?

Perhaps things have changed?
I doubt it. Just today I received an email from them regarding my current build. There were many questions for me to answer about color/aging/checking/wear/etc... They are incredibly thorough BUT they are also human. And you can call me crazy, but I think waiting a whole weekend to get a response to an email is OK.

One thing I know - they will always make it right. As the poster above knows, it might take some time, but they will get it right and get you what you want.

Trending Topics