1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

FS Beyerdynamic M160 Ribbon Microphone Mint Condition - $450

Discussion in 'Recording, Pro Audio & Rack Gear Emporium' started by RyanPitch, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RyanPitch

RyanPitch Supporting Member

I was recording an EP last year and Bill Stevenson said that he had used a Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon mic with great success (when blended with another dynamic mic) on high-gain guitars. I bought it new based on the recommendation. I simply did one or two mic shoot-outs and put it back in the box. It wasn't my cup of tea, and this thing is as mint as mint gets.

Beyerdynamic M160 Ribbon Microphone Features at a Glance:
    • Double ribbon design
    • Hypercardioid pattern to reject off-axis sounds
    • Excellent stringed instrument microphone
    • Black and chromium plated to prevent glare from broadcast lighting
    • Includes case and mic clip, frequency response QA sheet
    Like new, kept in its case which was kept in its box which was kept in my closet since new. With original papers, box, case, etc.

$450 plus shipping of your choice. I think shipping should be $20 or less. I'm in central Florida for local pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nsureit, jjboogie and Crowder like this.
  2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Those are fantastic Microphones for studio work. I don't want to discourage
    you from selling - but did you use a CloudLifter or other Preamp with
    enough gain for a Ribbon?

3. RyanPitch

RyanPitch Supporting Member

I used really good preamps. One is an Aurora GTQC channel strip and one is a Retro Powerstrip.

Maybe I should try the mic again! But at the time, it just wasn’t my thing.

4. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

These are fantastic microphones for most any application. I have 3 M160s and an M500. They can handle very loud sources (up to 138dB). True, you need a very good preamp (I use Trident 80B series and ISA One), but you can’t beat them for drum overhead, guitar amps, wind and acoustic instruments. Great price, too.

5. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

Great Mic, one of the easiest ways to great guitar tones, famously its the Eddie Kramer hendrix mic. You can stuff this right in the center of the speaker and its still full and smooth as silk, really lovely. Love Mine on Cabs and Hihat too.

nsureit likes this.