BF Bandmaster owners - what pedals work best for you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soul Man, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Guys and girls,
    I am the proud papa of a '65 Blackface Bandmaster. I wondered what pedals work best for you with this amp?

It's got a great clean sound and sometimes I think too clean, LOL. Trying to find a good OD / dirt pedal has been a chore.

What pedals work well for you? (Any kind, not just dirt)

Thanks!

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I use a BYOC Marshall Bluesbreaker clone with my '69 Bandmaster Reverb. I see most BF fender amp owners like this pedal. The King of Tone I see recommended a lot as well for BF Fenders.

3. Alvis

Alvis Member

Way back before I was into tweakin amps like that into doin what I wanted em to do , there was the DoD 250 (the real ones,not the reissue )
    And these days ,however simple the "tweak" ,most folks prefer to not molest these amps
    There's still the DoD 250......
    It was perfect with my 63 BM & 64 Tremolux.Unfortunately , I dont know anything about any present day pedals .Man, Im a dinosaur....

[​IMG]

4. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I use a TS-9, BD-2 and an Alpha Drive II with mine. I also use a Nova System for effects.

5. krall

krall Supporting Member

Tube Screamer type pedal.

6. manray

manray Silver Supporting Member

I use a Fulldrive 2 non-mosfet thru my 69 Bandmaster Reverb and it sounds great. They are selling cheap on the used market also.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I run a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. I had a TS-9 Turbo but it sounded to me, like I threw a blanket over the cab. I really like the Sparkle Drive. I do like a second dirt pedal for harder rock sounds. I am still working thru a few trying to get the right one. I also run a Budda Bud Wah, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memeory Man with Hazarai. Personally I like the Memory Man better than a Carbon Copy delay which I also have. It just sits.

8. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

These amps are about as good as it gets for taking pedals. I haven't found one that they don't like. That said, I use a Les Lius, BJFE RRB, BJFE Cliffhanger, EP Boost, Musket Fuzz, Plum Crazy Siclops, etc. They all are fantastic.

9. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Anyone use an attenuator with these amps to get a little more break at lower volumes?

I'm just a basement player and can't dime the amp - I've been trying different pedals just to get that edge of break / bluesy tone (SRV, Mayer, EC) but haven't found anything that gets me there.

Currently I have been generously loaned a ZVex Box of Rock as well as a Wampler Paisley Drive.

Both are killer pedals but both come through more as a boost than an OD - this is what made me wonder if there is a pedal that really mates to this amp or if adding a Brake Lite or other attenuator would help me out.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions so far!

10. louderock

louderock Member

I have a '65 Bassman and a '66 Super Reverb. Similar circuit to your amp. I have the first version Fulltone OCD and it works great. Can be subtle or you can really get a good bit of gain. I'll also use a Xotic RC Booster to boost for leads. These amps have a ton of headroom up front and will respond well with pedals.

11. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

No need for an attenuator really since they are not super loud amps. It sounds great all the way up the dial and with single coils, it barely breaks up at 7 or 8 at which point there is no useful volume left. The non-reverb Fenders have much more clean headroom than those with reverb. My Bandmaster Reverb starts to get dirty around 4-5 and is much louder than my non-reverb.

12. frank4001

frank4001 Member

You could try replacing the 12AT7 phase inverter tube with a 5751 or 12ax7 and see how you like it. It should break up sooner and drive better. As far as pedals a friend, who like to build amps and pedals ect., built a a couple Zen Drive copies and I got one. Works really well...

13. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I use my Rock Crusher to knock of a few db when I'm playing in smaller places. It works just great.

14. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

I second the Sparkle Drive! I sometimes use a Holy Grail Reverb. The only problem with the Grail is that it doesn't use a 9v battery power supply. I'm stuck with plugging it in. I don't use pedal boards. In fact, I don't care much for pedals in general. But this amp works well em I must confess.

15. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

Yep. I've got a Z "Air brake" that I'll use at home sometimes.

16. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

These days I'm back to preferring my non-mosfet FD2 in FM mode, especially when run into an EP Booster and then into the amp. You also might try running into CH 1 of the amp and then jumpering that into CH 2 -- seems to add a little something with my '63 BF Tremolux. I still have my old original yellow box DOD 250, so I'll have to try that out. If it works, then you could check out the Whirlwind reissue version. I haven't tried a Rat, but people seem to like 'em with clean Fenders from what I've been told.

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The rockcrusher only has an 8ohm and 16ohm output, what speaker load are you running? The bandmaster Output transformer is a 4ohm as you probably know.

18. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

This is the best amp I own for pedals especially my Pete Cornish pedals. I hate to admit this since I paid a lot more money for every other amp I own and like, but this one (BF BM my wife bought at a garage sale for $40) is just great with pedals.

19. chervokas

chervokas Member

A Bandmaster is a fine clean BF amp. Frankly I've never had any OD sound "bad" with it, maybe a fuzz isn't ideal but I've had a Distortion+/DOD250 type pedal work, a TS9/SD-1 type pedal work, and Butler tube driver work. But it's not gonna ever deliver too much crunch of it's own -- however you can get nice OT saturation at high volumes.

One thing you can do to hit the output section a little harder is jumper the channels.

Another thing you can do is keep the bias on the low side for a little more break up, though I think the amps sound best biased to around 50 or 60% dissipation... maybe around 30 to 35 mA...which is bigger and cleaner, but you know that's what the amp does best.

But if you're looking for an edge of breakup at low volume amp for playing at home you might want a smaller, more tweedy middy amp than a Bandmaster.

20. KCguy

KCguy Member

Another vote for jumper the channels. OD: I like the Rockett Animal, and a clean boost like Rockett Lemon Aid.