BF bassman head question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skypilot, May 20, 2008.

1. skypilot

skypilot Member

can I use a BF bassman head with 1x12? ( the 2x12 cabinet weight and size is out)not sure how many ohms the head is, 2 or 4? Is there a good sounding 1x12 that you know that would work Or would a mod be in order for the head...ohm switch?

2. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

3. m@2

m@2 Member

Yep, they are 4 ohms. I have run 1X12, 2X12 4X12 and 1X15 with Ohm ratings of 2, 4, and 8 with my bassman (I have had AA864, AB165 and 6G6 bassman). I have not personally experienced any adversity/issues from this with my bassman... of course YMMV.

Another option to consider is to use lightweight speakers in the old fender 2X12 cabs (My original 2X12 Fender cab from 63' is actually pretty light, and with some lighter Jensens, the whole thing is still easy to carry) Ends up being similar in weight to many 1X12 cabs I have carried.

4. skypilot

skypilot Member

thank you for the reply

5. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

you don't know me but I've seen some good playin on youtube.

Do this: get a new Output transformer, specifically, this one: http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers (the TO60).

I had this put in my '68 bassman by a tech with an added switch on the back for 4/8 ohms. This thing made my amp kick some serious but-tocks. you will not be dissapointed mine fren.